Quantum Mechanics for Beginners (MSEE Degree)

In summary, "The Quantum World" by Kenneth Ford and "Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction" by John Polkinghorne are both highly recommended books for beginners in quantum mechanics. Other suggestions include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics" by Bransden and Joachain, and "Quantum Physics" by Stephen Gasiorowicz. However, Gasiorowicz's book may be more suitable for those with a mathematical background. Other recommendations include "The New Quantum Universe" by Tony Hey and Patrick Walters, "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" by David McMahon, and "The New Quantum Universe" by Tony Hey and Patrick Walters. Ultimately, it is important to find
Jim L
Greetings- Please give me the title of a book on QM that is often suggested for a beginner.To aid in the selection, I have a MSEE degree. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is one sub forum with tips for books to learn differet things =)

But I give you a good tip now:
Griffiths - Introduction to quantum mechanics (2ed)

Bransden & Joachain - Quantum Mechanics (2ed)

This is the first book in which I began my study in the quantum realm, it's entitled The Quantum World, by Kenneth Ford. Undoubtedly from this book I have retained the most knowledge, it is very informative, striving for detail, though as well it is comprehensible for the avid beginner.

http://www.mtl.mit.edu/Courses/6.050/2007/unit10/index.html has some good advice. I especially like this book:

"The predictions of quantum mechanics have been verified repeatedly in careful experiments, and the theory has been used effectively in the design of practical systems. Nevertheless, it cannot be explained in terms that are compatible with everyday experience. The field that tries to do this is sometimes called the "philosophy of quantum mechanics." One of the best, most readable books describing the status of such attempts is by John Polkinghorne, "Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction," Oxford University Press, Oxford, U. K.; 2002. "

It's only $10 in paperback, new.

Jim L said:
Please give me the title of a book on QM that is often suggested for a beginner.

Apparently, it isn’t often suggested, but I consider it one of the best:

S. Gaziorovich, “Quantum Physics” ,Wiley, New York (1996)

Regards, Dany.

His namne is: Gasiorowicz

=)

"What is in name" - Shake"Anonym"speare.

Anonym said:
Apparently, it isn’t often suggested, but I consider it one of the best:

S. Gaziorovich, “Quantum Physics” ,Wiley, New York (1996)

Regards, Dany.

malawi_glenn said:
His namne is: Gasiorowicz

=)

This book was suggested for my introductory quantum mechanics class. We were told that it is a book which is more aimed at mathematicians than physicists and, as such, if you are interested in mathematics, or have a mathematical background then this will be the one for you.

Incidentally, the Bransden and Joachain book was on the reading list for the advanced course I did, so I'm not sure how suitable it will be for an introduction.

malawi_glenn said:
But I give you a good tip now:
Griffiths - Introduction to quantum mechanics (2ed)

Bransden & Joachain - Quantum Mechanics (2ed)

I didn’t read them. What do you say in comparison with Gasiorowicz?

Sourabh N said:
"What is in name" - Shake"Anonym"speare.

B-A-C-H

Regards, Dany.

Last edited:
I didn't like Gasiorowicz; I found it too wordy. It may be helpful for the OP, however.

cristo said:
This book was suggested for my introductory quantum mechanics class. We were told that it is a book which is more aimed at mathematicians than physicists and, as such, if you are interested in mathematics, or have a mathematical background then this will be the one for you.

Something wrong. I studied Gasiorowicz, S., Elementary Particle Physics (Wiley, New York, 1966). I guess he experimentalist.

Regards, Dany.

P.S. I read only selected pages from S. Gasiorowicz, “Quantum Physics”, but it was primary recommended for my son at Physics Dept. Tel-Aviv Univ., Introductory course QM.

Last edited:
I find Claude Cohen-Tannoudji's QM text very helpful for beginners. Only prerequisites needed: a firm grounding in calculus and a little knowledge of classical mechanics. It goes into many details in the complements section, but its chapters are short and to the point.
DO NOT buy McMahon's Quantum Mechanics Demystified. It is riddled with errors.

Wow, this is a really old thread.

Gasiorowicz was my undergrad text. It was me, another guy, and the instructor, going through that book carefully, so I know parts of it very well. However, when I went back to it, I was disappointed to find that he's not explicit enough about some basic concepts.

Shankar is very explicit and detailed without being tedious, a difficult tightrope to walk.

hi
i know the good book
name is: THE NEW QUANTUM UNIVERSE
writers is : tony hey - patrick walters

I would never suggest Gasiorowicz's book to anyone. It is atrocious for a first contact with quantum mechanics. It's the kind of book you read when you master the subject very well, and then you find their is everything you need. It's not pedagogical at all.

I would rather suggest Griffith's, Cohen-Tannoudji's or Liboff's.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of particles such as electrons, protons, and photons.

2. What are the key concepts of quantum mechanics?

The key concepts of quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, superposition, and uncertainty principle. Wave-particle duality states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. Superposition states that particles can exist in multiple states at the same time. The uncertainty principle states that there is a limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously.

3. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of subatomic particles. In classical mechanics, objects have definite positions and velocities, while in quantum mechanics, particles exist in multiple states simultaneously. Additionally, classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is inherently probabilistic.

4. How is quantum mechanics applied in everyday life?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the development of electronic devices such as computers and smartphones. It is also used in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI machines. In addition, quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in the study of materials and their properties, which has led to advancements in the fields of chemistry, biology, and materials science.

5. Do I need a deep understanding of mathematics to learn quantum mechanics?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is helpful in understanding quantum mechanics, it is not necessary to have an in-depth understanding of advanced mathematics. Many introductory courses in quantum mechanics focus on the conceptual understanding of the principles, rather than the mathematical equations. However, a basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is recommended for a deeper understanding of the subject.