What is the height of the cliff above the water?

In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a cliff above water based on the velocity of a rock thrown off the cliff and the time it takes to hit the water. Using the equations Δd = 1(v1+v2)Δt/2, 2aΔd = v2^2 - v1^2, and Δd = v1 Δt + 1/2 a (Δt)2, the correct equation to use is s = ut + 1/2at^2. The initial velocity u is 8.3 m/s and the acceleration a is -9.8 m/s^2. Solving for Δd will give the height of the cliff above the
aksarb

Homework Statement

You throw a rock off a cliff, giving it a velocity of 8.3 m/s straight down. At the instant you released the rock, your hiking buddy started a stopwatch. The rock hit the water below exactly 6.9 seconds after you threw the rock. How high is the cliff above the water?

Homework Equations

Δd = 1(v1+v2)Δt
2aΔd = v2^2 - v1^2

Δd = v1 Δt + 1/2 a (Δt)2

Δd = v2 Δt - 1/2 a (Δt)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that the v1 is 0 because it starts from rest and v2 is -8.3m/s. (Sign convention was down negative.) and time was 6.9. I subbed everything into the equation. When I make everything equal to Δd, does that give me the height of the cliff above the river?

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need is the s = ut + 1/2at^2
But the initial velocity u=8.3 and a=g=9.8m/s^2
Don't try and remember the sign convention, think about would S get bigger or smaller with time, would a large U reduce/increase S.

So, it would be:

D = (8.3m/s)(6.9s) + 1/2 (9.80/ms^2)(6.9s)^2

Work it out and the D would give me the height?

Yes (and some more unnecessary text to make the anwer longer than 4 characters otherwise the forum software rejects it )

Thanks a lot this si a great help. Do you think you can help me with the other question I have posted?

1. How is the height of a cliff above water measured?

The height of a cliff above water is measured by using a measuring tool, such as a laser rangefinder or a surveying instrument, to determine the vertical distance from the base of the cliff to the water's surface.

2. Can the height of a cliff above water change over time?

Yes, the height of a cliff above water can change over time due to erosion, tectonic movements, or other natural processes. It is important to regularly monitor the height of a cliff to ensure safety and prevent potential hazards.

3. Is the height of a cliff above water the same at all points along its edge?

No, the height of a cliff above water can vary at different points along its edge. This is due to variations in the terrain and the shape of the cliff. It is important to take multiple measurements along the edge to get an accurate average height.

4. How does the height of a cliff above water impact the surrounding area?

The height of a cliff above water can impact the surrounding area in various ways. It can affect the strength of waves and currents, influence the amount of sunlight reaching the area, and impact the local climate. It can also affect the accessibility and use of the area for recreational or commercial purposes.

5. Can the height of a cliff above water be estimated without using specialized equipment?

Yes, the height of a cliff above water can be estimated without using specialized equipment by using basic trigonometric principles. By measuring the angle of elevation from a known distance, the height of the cliff can be calculated using simple trigonometric functions like sine and tangent.