Calculate Asteroid Escape and Final Speeds - Get Help Today!"

• Thread starter mshah3
  • Start date
In summary, the escape speed from a very small asteroid is 32 m/s and if you throw a rock away from the asteroid at a speed of 37 m/s, its final speed will be 37 m/s. To ensure that the rock never comes back to the asteroid and reaches a speed of 8 m/s when it is very far away, you need to throw it at a speed faster than the escape speed in the direction of the asteroid's spin. The equation to calculate the escape speed is Ve = sqrt((2GM/r)), but the exact setup for incorporating the final and initial velocities into the equation is not known.
mshah3
1. The escape speed from a very small asteroid is only 32 m/s. If you throw a rock away from the asteroid at a speed of 37 m/s, what will be its final speed?

2. How fast (relative to you) do you have to throw the rock (in the direction of the asteroid's spin) so that it never comes back to the asteroid and ends up traveling at a speed of 8 m/s when it is very far away? (I have mass, radius, and escape speed; I just need to know how to set it up)

THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
I the future post homework help requests in the homework help forums.

Now, Show us that you have tried.

i know that Ve = sqrt((2GM/r))
but i don't know how to incorporate the final and initial velocities into the equation

i apologize for placing it in the wrong forum

i'm new to the site

What is the best way to get help with my homework today?

The best way to get help with your homework today is to reach out to your teacher or professor. They are the most knowledgeable about the material and can provide guidance and clarification.

Can I get help with my homework online?

Yes, there are many online resources available for homework help today. You can join online study groups, access online tutoring services, or search for answers on educational websites.

Is it okay to ask a friend for homework help?

It is okay to ask a friend for help with your homework, but make sure that you are still putting in the effort and understanding the material. Also, be sure to give credit to your friend if they provide you with any answers or assistance.

What should I do if I can't finish my homework today?

If you are unable to finish your homework today, it is important to communicate with your teacher or professor and ask for an extension. It is better to turn in quality work a little late than to rush and turn in incomplete or incorrect work.

How can I make sure I understand my homework today?

To make sure you understand your homework today, try to explain the material in your own words and teach it to someone else. Also, practice problems and self-quizzing can help solidify your understanding of the material.