Convert the coordiates of one vector between 2 Cartesian system

In summary, the conversation discusses a geometry problem involving two 3-D Cartesian systems with the same origin. The question asks for the vector in system B that corresponds to a given vector in system A. The conversation also mentions the need for more information, such as the units and scale of the coordinate systems, to accurately solve the problem. The speaker also asks for recommendations on books or software that could help with this type of conversion.
bigworld005
hi, all,
run into one geometry problem: I have two 3-D Cartesian systems, A and B. they share the same original. the coordinate (2,3,3) in B system is the same vector as (118,2090,1000)in A system( there may be scale difference, but they are the same direction); then what is the vector in B corresponding to (89,2600,1000) in A?
I know there should a standard formula for this kind of conversion. but I didn't take this class, would anyone recommend any book on this? is there a software doing this work?

thanks,
t

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't given enough information to answer your question. Two vectors can be mapped to each other in many ways. There isn't enough context to tell whether coordinate system A and coordinate system B have a metric which would narrow things down a bit. Knowing the type of units associated with the coordinate systems would be useful (for example - inches, seconds, degrees farenheit). Even that this not enough to uniquely identify the two coordinate systems, but it starts to narrow things down.

hi,
thanks for the reply. what I mean is very simple: in the space where we live, I have two Cartesian coordinate sharing the same origin, the direction in system A is (118,2090,1000), while in B is (2,3,3); then the direction (89,2600,1000) in A correspond to which direction in B?
this time, using the word of "direction" instead of "vector" may help.

Hi,
I forget to mention: the scale in the two system is same, so no shrink or extend in the axis.
by the way, I think Cartesian system means the three axises X,Y,Z, they are normal to each other. hope I am right.

thanks,
t

What is the process for converting the coordinates of a vector between two Cartesian systems?

The process involves identifying the coordinates of the vector in the first Cartesian system, and then using a transformation matrix to convert those coordinates to the second Cartesian system.

What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a matrix that is used to convert coordinates from one coordinate system to another. It is typically a square matrix with dimensions equal to the number of dimensions in the coordinate system.

How do you determine the transformation matrix for converting between two Cartesian systems?

The transformation matrix can be determined by identifying the basis vectors of the two coordinate systems and expressing them in terms of each other. The columns of the transformation matrix will then be the coordinates of the basis vectors in the second coordinate system.

Can the coordinates of a vector be converted between any two Cartesian systems?

Yes, as long as the two coordinate systems are both Cartesian and have the same number of dimensions, the coordinates of a vector can be converted between them.

Is there a formula for converting the coordinates of a vector between two Cartesian systems?

Yes, the formula involves multiplying the vector's coordinates in the first system by the transformation matrix to get its coordinates in the second system. This formula can be extended to work for vectors with any number of dimensions.