What is the speed of sound in air using the Young's Double Slit Experiment?

In summary: So, if you want to know the speed of sound in air, you could use the following equation: v = (c/2)(wavelength)(frequency).
jaded18
Two loudspeakers are placed side by side a distance d apart. A listener observes constructive interference while standing in front of the loudspeakers, equidistant from both of them. The distance from the listener to the point half-way between the speakers is l.

One of the loudspeakers is then moved directly away from the other. Once the speaker is moved a distance r from its original position, the listener, who is not moving, observes destructive interference for the first time.

Find the speed of sound v in the air if both speakers emit a tone of the same frequency f.
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1000054/11/104507C.jpg

I know that velocity = (wavelength)(frequency), and the path length difference for the case of destructive interference is =0.5(wavelength). And the distance between the observer and the speaker that has been moved is sqrt((0.5d+r)^2 + l^2).

How do I put everything together to get the speed of sound in the air using only those variables introduced in the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the distance between the observer and the speaker that has not been moved?

What is the difference between the two distances?

catkin said:
What is the distance between the observer and the speaker that has not been moved?

What is the difference between the two distances?

the distance between the observer and the speaker that has not been moved is sqrt(0.5d^2+l^2) and the difference is sqrt((0.5d+r)^2 + l^2)-sqrt(0.5d^2+l^2)

now what?

I already had these in my head, but I didn't know how to follow through and put it together. Anyone can help me?

Last edited:
So far so good. That's the difference expressed in terms of d, l and r. What is it expressed in terms of wavelength?

I don't know. Every wavelength cycle measures 2pi so (wavelength)(sqrt((0.5d+r)^2 + l^2)-sqrt(0.5d^2+l^2)) / 2pi . Am I right?

You do know! "I know that ... the path length difference for the case of destructive interference is =0.5(wavelength). "

You know, the simplest way to do this question is to make use of the young's double slit experiment equations? This is effectively the same thing, only the waves are sound waves and the screen is the person.

1. What are speakers?

Speakers are devices that convert electrical signals into sound waves. They consist of a magnet, voice coil, and cone that work together to vibrate and produce sound.

2. How do speakers produce sound?

Speakers produce sound by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. When an electrical signal is received, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the voice coil, causing it to vibrate. The vibrations are then transferred to the cone, which amplifies and projects the sound waves into the air.

3. What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium, such as air or water, and carries energy from one point to another. They are created by vibrations and have properties such as frequency, wavelength, and amplitude.

4. What factors affect the quality of sound produced by speakers?

The quality of sound produced by speakers is affected by several factors, including the size and design of the speaker, the materials used, the quality of the electrical signal, and the acoustic environment in which the speakers are placed.

5. How do sound waves travel through different mediums?

Sound waves travel through different mediums by causing particles in the medium to vibrate and transfer energy to neighboring particles. The speed of sound varies depending on the medium, with sound traveling faster through denser materials like water and slower through less dense materials like air.