Calculate Mass of Missing Piece Exploding Boulder

• Thread starter yoleven
  • Start date
In summary, a stick of dynamite explodes a boulder into four pieces, with three of the pieces having momenta of 10m/s West 1kg, 20m/s North 2kg, and 10m/s East 4kg respectively. Using the conservation of momentum, the mass of the missing piece can be calculated by setting the initial momentum of the boulder to zero and equating it to the sum of the momenta of the four pieces. However, since momentum is a vector quantity, the direction of the missing piece's velocity must also be taken into account.
yoleven

Homework Statement

A stick of dynamite blows a boulder into 4 pieces. The boulder was stationary before the explosion. After the explosion, three of the pieces have the following momenta;
piece a = 10m/s West 1kg
piece b = 20m/s North 2kg
piece c = 10m/s East 4kg
Calculate the mass of the missing piece if the magnitude of its velocity is 25m/s

Homework Equations

Ptotal(initial)=Ptotal(final)
P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the boulder was not moving, its momentum is zero. The momentum of each piece is its mass x its velocity. Each piece's momentum added to each other will equal zero because momentum is conserved. So I get;
0=m1v1+m2v2+m3v3+m4v4
0=1kg(10m/s W)+2kg(20m/s N)+4kg(10m/s E)+m4(25m/s)
-90kgm/s=m4(25m/s)
m4=-3.6kg
Now I can't have a negative mass, so what can I do to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The momentum is a vector you can't just add all the components like that. It's a 2-dimentional situation.
And you have given the magnitude of it's velocity, ie it's speed. So you also to need to figure out in what direction the 4th piece goes, but you don't need to calculate it though, only that it will be in your equations.

Thank you.

1. How can I calculate the mass of a missing piece from an exploding boulder?

To calculate the mass of a missing piece from an exploding boulder, you will need to know the total mass of the boulder before it exploded and the mass of the remaining pieces after the explosion. Subtract the total mass of the remaining pieces from the total mass of the boulder to find the mass of the missing piece.

2. What units should I use when calculating the mass of a missing piece from an exploding boulder?

The units used for calculating the mass of a missing piece from an exploding boulder would depend on the units used to measure the total mass of the boulder and the remaining pieces. Make sure to use consistent units throughout the calculation.

3. Can I estimate the mass of a missing piece from an exploding boulder?

Yes, it is possible to estimate the mass of a missing piece from an exploding boulder by using the mass of the remaining pieces and the percentage of the boulder that is missing. Multiply the percentage by the total mass of the boulder to get an estimated mass of the missing piece.

4. Is there a formula for calculating the mass of a missing piece from an exploding boulder?

There is no specific formula for calculating the mass of a missing piece from an exploding boulder. However, you can use basic algebraic equations to find the missing mass by subtracting the mass of the remaining pieces from the total mass of the boulder.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the mass of a missing piece from an exploding boulder?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the mass of a missing piece from an exploding boulder. These include measurement errors, the shape and size of the boulder, and the force and direction of the explosion. It is important to use precise measurements and consider these factors when making the calculation.