Angle to Drop a Package from Airplane

In summary, the problem involves calculating the angle between the horizontal and the pilot's line of sight when dropping a package from a plane at a horizontal velocity of 140 km/h and an altitude of .500 km, in order for it to hit a designated spot near campers. Using the equations for displacement and velocity, the necessary components were determined and a right angled triangle was constructed to solve for the angle using trigonometry. The final step is to take into account the units of measurement and use the calculated time and distance to determine the angle.
mrlucky0

Homework Statement

A package is to be dropped from an airplane so that it hits the ground at a designated spot near some campers. The airplane, moving horizontally at a constant velocity of 140 km/h, approaches the spot at an altitude of .500 km above level ground. Having the designated point in sight, the pilot prepares to drop the package.

What should the angle be between the horizontal and the pilot's line of sight when the package is released?

Homework Equations

d = 1/2at^2
v = at

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the velocity components of the package once it's dropped:

vx = 140 km/h
vy = -gt

The displacement components, where t is time:

dx = 140 km/h * t
dy = .50-1/2gt^2

For dy, I solved for time it takes for the package to hit the ground: .32 seconds. I also calculated that the package will travel a horizontal distance of 12.4 m in that time. Where do I go from here in determining the angle? I think I'm missing something obvious here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram, and construct a right angled triangle such that the plane is at one of the acute angles, the campers is at the other, and the right angle is on the ground. Then on the triangle label what you know about vertical and horizontal components. Use trig!

Units, units, units. How high is the plane?

1. What is the optimal angle to drop a package from an airplane?

The optimal angle to drop a package from an airplane depends on several factors, including the altitude of the airplane, the weight and shape of the package, and the desired landing location. Generally, a shallow angle of around 5-10 degrees is recommended to minimize the impact and ensure a safe landing.

2. How does air resistance impact the angle to drop a package from an airplane?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the angle at which a package should be dropped from an airplane. If the package is dropped at too steep of an angle, the drag force may slow it down too quickly, causing it to fall short of the intended landing location. On the other hand, if the angle is too shallow, the package may travel too far and potentially miss the landing location.

3. Can the angle to drop a package from an airplane be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the angle to drop a package from an airplane can be calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account the weight and shape of the package, the altitude and speed of the airplane, and the effects of air resistance. However, these calculations may vary depending on the specific conditions and may require adjustments for accuracy.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when dropping a package from an airplane?

When dropping a package from an airplane, it is essential to ensure that the area below is clear of people, buildings, or other obstacles. The package should also be securely attached to the airplane to prevent it from falling off prematurely. Additionally, it is crucial to follow proper safety protocols and regulations set by the aviation industry.

5. Is there a maximum weight limit for packages dropped from airplanes?

The maximum weight limit for packages dropped from airplanes varies depending on the type of aircraft and the regulations set by the aviation authority. Generally, smaller aircraft have lower weight limits for dropped objects, while larger aircraft may be able to carry heavier packages. It is important to follow all weight restrictions and safety guidelines to ensure a safe and successful drop.