Where Can You Find the Best Wine Selection?

• Thread starter pitot-tube
  • Start date
In summary, people have various options for buying wine depending on their location and preferences. Some options include buying from a grocery store, a local wine store, or directly from wineries. Some people also make their own wine or order online. Those living in wine country may have more options such as buying from a local winery or attending wine tastings.

Where do you get your wine from?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
pitot-tube
Where do you buy your wine?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it's for a nonspecial dinner I'll just grab a bottle from the grocery store. but for special dinners I will goto a wine store.

- mod note: I changed the thread title for topic clarity -

In Tennessee there is only one option, the liquor store. Our grocery stores only sell beer/wine coolers and such.

There should be a couple of other options.

I live in an area with about two dozen wineries, so I can either buy a local wine at a farmers market or at the winery itself. There are wine tasting all the time, so it's easy to go out and sample wines on a weekend afternoon.

It's rare that I buy wine at the grocery store, since they tend to have low quality wines, but if I spot a good one at a good price, I'll buy one or two bottles. The local wine & liquor store has a reasoably good selection.

I like Merlots, Pinot Noirs, Shirazs, Syrahs, and Lembergers, and also Chardonnays and Rheinweins. I've had some great white wines from the Rhein Valley near Karlsruhe.

I get some from the grocery store; they have a few halfway decent wines. For some occasions, I'll stop at the local wine store. But, sometimes I know of a wine I want that isn't stocked locally, so I'll order those online. It's really the only way to get really good wine here. I'll buy a half case or case at a time if I order online to last quite a while. It's nice to have that option since there aren't a lot of choices around here for wine stores.

Astronuc said:
There should be a couple of other options.

I live in an area with about two dozen wineries, so I can either buy a local wine at a farmers market or at the winery itself. There are wine tasting all the time, so it's easy to go out and sample wines on a weekend afternoon.

It's rare that I buy wine at the grocery store, since they tend to have low quality wines, but if I spot a good one at a good price, I'll buy one or two bottles. The local wine & liquor store has a reasoably good selection.

I like Merlots, Pinot Noirs, Shirazs, Syrahs, and Lembergers, and also Chardonnays and Rheinweins. I've had some great white wines from the Rhein Valley near Karlsruhe.
We can buy Tennessee wine at the Tennessee wineries. :yuck:

It's strange that this poll does not include one of the most obvious possibilities: going to the winery and buying it directly from them.

- Warren

I have a great local wine store, which also sells imported cheese and wonderful bread.

chroot said:
It's strange that this poll does not include one of the most obvious possibilities: going to the winery and buying it directly from them.

- Warren

That's only the most obvious to someone living in wine country. :tongue:

We actually have a tiny winery not far up the road from me...the wine selection ranges from paint thinner to pancake syrup. :uhh: Actually, the one rather sweet wine is okay as a dessert wine, though from talking to the guy who runs the place, it's not what they had in mind at all. I didn't expect spectacular wine when I visited there, but figured since it's just up the road, I'd do some tasting and see if there was anything worth buying...it was a bit of a struggle to avoid coughing and gagging on the first one I tried. I might go back and buy some of the jams they sell.

I get a lot from the supermarket, since there's a huge variety and there are regularly some really good bargains which can be had.

I make a trip to Burgundy at least once a year and fill the car up. (I mean fill it!). I also make about 48 bottles a year myself (various red fruit).

Last edited:
Straight to the producer :). There is even a wine bearing my name.

Last edited:
Grocery stores here don't sell wine. So, it's a trip to the wine/liquor store, or a vacation out to the wineries and order a case or so, or order from wineries online.

1. Where can I find the best selection of wines?

The best selection of wines can be found at specialty wine shops, large grocery stores, and online retailers. It is important to research and compare different options to find the one that best fits your preferences and budget.

2. Are there any specific regions or countries known for producing high-quality wines?

Yes, there are several regions and countries that are renowned for their wine production, such as France, Italy, Spain, and California. However, it is important to note that quality can vary within each region and it ultimately depends on your personal taste.

3. Is it better to buy wine directly from the winery or from a retailer?

This ultimately depends on the specific winery and retailer. Some wineries may offer exclusive wines or discounts that are not available through retailers, while others may have limited distribution and can only be found through retailers. It is best to do some research and compare prices and options before making a decision.

4. What factors should I consider when purchasing wine?

Some important factors to consider when purchasing wine include your budget, the occasion or meal it will accompany, and your personal taste preferences. It is also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from knowledgeable sources.

5. Is it necessary to spend a lot of money on a good bottle of wine?

No, it is not necessary to spend a lot of money on a good bottle of wine. There are many affordable options that can still be high quality and enjoyable. It is important to remember that price does not always equate to quality, and it is ultimately a matter of personal taste.