Where to Gain Clinical Experience for a Transition into Medical Physics?

In summary, the best route for someone with a PhD in Biomedical Physics to gain the necessary clinical experience for a return to medical physics depends on where they live. In the US or Canada, the best option would be to find a CAMPEP accredited medical physics residency program, but competition may be high. Another option would be to seek a non-accredited program or a post-doc position that offers clinical experience. However, starting in 2012, completion of a CAMPEP accredited training program will be required for eligibility to take the ABR certification exam.
Rad0302
Greetings,
I have a PhD in Biomedical Physics, research in radiation biology and now a faculty position in cell and molecular biology. I want to return to medical physics but I lack the clinical courses needed, what is the best route to get this experience? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends entirely on where you live.

If you're in the US or Canada, the best route is to find a CAMPEP accredited medical physics residency program. There aren't a lot of them so competition is pretty high.

Alternatively, try to find a non-accredited program or a post-doc position that will offer you the clinical experience.

In the very near future (2012 I believe), eligibility to take the ABR certification exam will require completion of a CAMPEP accredited training program.

Hello,

It's great to hear that you are interested in transitioning back to medical physics. I understand the importance of gaining practical experience in a field, especially in a clinical setting. The best route for you to gain the necessary clinical courses would be to enroll in a postgraduate program in medical physics. These programs are specifically designed for individuals with a background in physics or a related field who are looking to transition into medical physics. They often offer coursework and hands-on training in areas such as radiation therapy, imaging techniques, and radiation safety.

Additionally, you can also consider reaching out to medical physics departments in hospitals or research institutions to inquire about any internships or shadowing opportunities that they may offer. This will not only give you practical experience, but it will also allow you to network and make connections in the field.

I wish you the best of luck in your transition back to medical physics. Your background in radiation biology and cell and molecular biology will be valuable assets in this field. Keep up the good work!

1. What is Medical Physics?

Medical Physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and techniques of physics to the field of medicine. It involves the use of radiation, imaging, and other technologies to diagnose and treat diseases.

2. What is the difference between Medical Physics and other branches of physics?

Medical Physics specifically focuses on the use of physics in the medical field, while other branches of physics may focus on other areas such as energy, motion, or materials. Medical Physics also requires a strong understanding of biology and medical applications.

3. How is Medical Physics used in the healthcare industry?

Medical Physics is used in a variety of ways in the healthcare industry, including radiation therapy for cancer treatment, medical imaging for diagnosis, radiation safety and protection, and quality assurance for medical equipment.

4. What are some career opportunities in Medical Physics?

Some common career paths in Medical Physics include radiation oncology physicist, diagnostic medical physicist, nuclear medicine physicist, and health physicist. There are also opportunities in research, teaching, and consulting.

5. What qualifications and training are required for a career in Medical Physics?

To become a Medical Physicist, you typically need a graduate degree in Medical Physics or a related field, such as Physics or Engineering. You will also need to complete a residency program and pass a certification exam. Additionally, many states require a license to practice Medical Physics.