What does it mean when math and reality don't align?

• Thread starter cangus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary, the expression "the more math makes sense, reality doesnt... and the more reality makes sense, math doesnt" may refer to the idea that mathematics and reality may not always align perfectly. This can be seen in the title of a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay, "Euclid Alone," which explores the idea of beauty in mathematics and reality. However, the exact meaning of the expression is still unclear.
cangus
I have heard the expression, "the more math makes sense, reality doesnt... and the more reality makes sense, math doesnt". Can someone give an example of this expression? What does it mean?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have absolutely no idea- it makes no "sense" to me! But then, I lost touch with reality long ago!

I have never seen nor heard the expression before. It may simply be referring to the fact that mathematics, as such, does not necessarily have to model reality.

HallsofIvy

I will really thank you for explanation
to the quote about Euclid’s in your reply

thank you
Moshek

It's the title of a poem by Edna St. VIncent Millay:

Euclid alone
Has looked on beauty bare, fortunate they
Who, though once only and then but far away,
have heard her massive sandal set on stone.

A nice poem
and thank you matt !

:smile:

What is the relationship between math and reality?

The relationship between math and reality is a complex and debated topic. Some argue that math is a language that accurately describes and explains the physical world, while others argue that math is a human construct that may not necessarily reflect reality. Ultimately, the extent to which math and reality are connected is a philosophical question that does not have a definitive answer.

Can math be used to understand the world?

Yes, math can be used to understand the world in many ways. It is a powerful tool for modeling and predicting natural phenomena, and has been used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to make sense of the world around us. However, it is important to note that math is just one way of understanding reality and may not provide a complete or accurate picture.

What is the role of sense perception in math?

Sense perception, or our ability to perceive the world through our five senses, is crucial in the development and application of math. Our observations and experiences of the physical world inform and shape the concepts and principles of math. However, math also goes beyond what our senses can perceive, as it involves abstract and theoretical concepts that cannot be directly observed.

Is math a human invention or a discovery?

This is a highly debated question in the philosophy of math. Some argue that math is a human invention, created by our minds to make sense of the world. Others argue that math is a discovery, meaning that mathematical concepts and principles already exist in the world and are waiting to be discovered by humans. There is no consensus on this question and it remains a topic of ongoing discussion.

Can math explain everything in the universe?

No, math cannot explain everything in the universe. While math is a powerful tool for understanding and describing the physical world, it is not the only way of understanding reality. There are aspects of the universe that may not be fully captured or explained by math, such as emotions, consciousness, and the human experience. Additionally, there are limitations to our current mathematical understanding and it is constantly evolving and expanding.