Calculate Flight Time of Artillery Shell

In summary, the problem involves an artillery shell being fired at an angle of 25.3 degrees above the horizontal ground with an initial speed of 1890 m/s. The total time of flight needs to be calculated, neglecting air resistance, using the acceleration of gravity at 9.8 m/s². The student is unsure of how to begin solving the problem and is seeking guidance.
sul6an

Homework Statement

An artillery shell is fired at an angle of 25.3 above the horizontal ground with an initial speed of 1890 m/s. The acceleration of gravity is 9:8 m/s2 : Find the total time of fight of the shell, neglecting air resistance. Answer in units of min.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi sul6an! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(erm … what's "kicking ball" got to do with it?! :confused:)

Show us what you've tried so far, and then we'll know how to help you! :smile:

Nothing about kicking ball. I wrote it by mistake, sorry :?

I don't know how to start it :(

sul6an said:
Nothing about kicking ball. I wrote it by mistake, sorry :?

Surely this question is related to some subject you've been studying. That should give you a clue about where to start.

sul6an said:

Do you know how to do it if it is 90º (vertically upward) instead of 25.3º? :smile:

What is the formula for calculating flight time of an artillery shell?

The formula for calculating flight time of an artillery shell is:
Flight time = (2 x initial velocity x sine of launch angle) / acceleration due to gravity.

What is the initial velocity of an artillery shell and how is it determined?

The initial velocity of an artillery shell is the speed at which the shell is launched. It is typically determined by using a device called a chronograph, which measures the speed of the shell as it leaves the muzzle of the artillery.

How does the launch angle affect the flight time of an artillery shell?

The launch angle affects the flight time of an artillery shell because it determines the vertical and horizontal components of the shell's initial velocity. A higher launch angle will result in a longer flight time due to the increased vertical component, while a lower launch angle will result in a shorter flight time.

What is the acceleration due to gravity and how does it impact the flight time of an artillery shell?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared. It impacts the flight time of an artillery shell because it determines the downward force acting on the shell, which affects its trajectory and ultimately its flight time.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of flight time calculations for artillery shells?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of flight time calculations for artillery shells include air resistance, wind speed and direction, and variations in the density of the air. Additionally, small variations in the measurements of initial velocity and launch angle can also impact the accuracy of the flight time calculation.