Divisibility by 5: Finding 3-Digit Numbers

• Thread starter Amith2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation is about determining the number of 3 digit numbers that are divisible by 5. The solution provided by a user was 136, but others disagreed and gave different calculations. Eventually, it was determined that the correct answer is 180, and the initial solution of 136 was incorrect. The conversation also includes some joking comments about the longevity of the thread and the use of fingers to count the numbers.
Amith2006

Homework Statement

How many 3 digit numbers are divisibIe by 5?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the answer as 136. could Someone please work it out and check my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Attempt to a solution?

I don't get 136. How did you come up with that answer?

I don't get 136 either. How did you get that?

There are 'roughly' 20 numbers in every 100 that are divisible by 5. There are 'roughly' 900 three digit numbers. So there are 'roughly' 180 three digit numbers divisible by 5. That's enough off from 136 to make me agree with Defennder and Tedjin. You must be wrong.

5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Its all the numbers that end in 5 or zero, and then ignore the last one (1000) because it had the temerity to posses 4 digits.

As you start building the sequence, you see the rule easy enough.

an=nth term of an AP (Arithmetic progression)
a=1st term
d=common difference

Since the 1st 3 digit no. divisible by 5 is 100
a=100
the last 3 digit no. divisible by 5 is 995
an=995
common difference (d)=5
n=no. of 3 digit nos. divisible by 5

an=a+(n-1)d
995=100+(n-1)5
995-100=(n-1)5
895=(n-1)5
895/5=n-1
179=n-1
179+1=n
n=180

Therefore,
exactly (not roughly) 180 3 digit numbers are divisibe by 5

Absolutely correct Dick!

@Amith2006
How did you get 136?!
:confused:

Last edited:
Year that passed since the thread was started was enough to count these numbers using fingers.

Aha that made me laugh, insane bump

1. What are numbers divisible by 3?

Numbers divisible by 3 are any numbers that can be divided by 3 without leaving a remainder. These numbers are also known as multiples of 3.

2. How can you tell if a number is divisible by 3?

To tell if a number is divisible by 3, you can add up all of the digits in the number. If the sum of the digits is divisible by 3, then the original number is divisible by 3 as well.

3. Can any number be divisible by 3?

No, not all numbers are divisible by 3. Only numbers that have 3 as a factor, meaning that 3 can be multiplied by another number to get the original number, are divisible by 3.

4. What is the rule for determining if a number is divisible by 3?

The rule for determining if a number is divisible by 3 is that the sum of the digits in the number must be divisible by 3. If the sum is not divisible by 3, then the original number is not divisible by 3.

5. Are there any real-life applications for understanding numbers divisible by 3?

Yes, understanding numbers divisible by 3 is important in many fields such as mathematics, finance, and computer science. For example, in coding, knowing that a number is divisible by 3 can help with writing efficient algorithms or identifying patterns in data. In finance, understanding numbers divisible by 3 can be helpful in calculating interest rates or making investment decisions.