Build a Hovercraft: Advice for Beginners

• Thread starter bassplayer142
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about building a hovercraft using a lawn mower engine and a fan. The participants discuss the necessary components and design considerations, such as the weight and lift capacity, and the use of a ducted fan. They also mention the importance of lightweight materials and provide suggestions for finding suitable fans. The conversation ends with the mention of a successful engine acquisition and the search for an appropriate fan.
bassplayer142
Me and my friend have been putting some serious thought into making a hovercraft. Just something basic that could maybe hold the weight of a person or a few. I have a old push lawn mower that I may be able to scrap the engine from. I don't know much about engines and the way they are built but I would really love it if this engine would work for the job. Does anyone have experience with this type of thing that could give me advice on this. I understand I would have to design some type of fan that would be attached to the motor.

Thank you for any advice or assistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are plenty of kits and plans available on the net, you should be able to find what you need via google. A lawn mower engine with an appropriate fan should be enough to lift a person. Here's a calculator: http://www.olshove.com/HoverHome/hovcalc.html

I plugged in some off-the-cuff numbers and found that a 6'x4' skirt 0.5" off the ground, holding a total weight of 250 lb (including the hovercraft) requires a 1.5 hp motor, though one big caveat is that it doesn't say if that includes an efficiency factor for the fan (it would only be about 50%).

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be the coolest. Here's what I know. Light weight is bigtime important. Flat platform with skirt made of, oh shall we say, swimming pool liner. Corners to be made some crazy way that you'll find out about on the web. Oh, I lost my train of thought. Alright, listen, a ducted fan is better than just a fan or prop but it's more difficult to make. You decide after you get into it. I'm going to say 2/3 air for lift and 1/3 for forward motion. build your prototype with an ax and your finished craft more carefully.
It can be done and you can do it.

Thanks a lot for the responses so soon. I am so excited for this that I stayed on to see if anyone replied quick. I will be sure to post pictures when I'm done and if it works. Thanks!

I have attached a picture that would resemble the skirt part or just an idea. The black would be the frame, the red would be the skirt, and the blue is the flow of air. Does this look reasonable to anyone. It would be a wall skirt.

Attachments

• skirt.bmp
    215.4 KB · Views: 602
That looks very reasonable. Good luck with your project, and keep us updated.

It has been quite a while and I guess we never have time, but we finally got a 18hp engine running from an old tractor. Our next obstacle is looking for an appropriate fan. I have been thinking about car radiator fans but I don't know if it can be safely mounted and allow enough ft^3/min. Anyone have any experience with this? thanks

bassplayer142 said:
It has been quite a while and I guess we never have time, but we finally got a 18hp engine running from an old tractor.

How big is this engine? A tractor engine sounds heavy and slow-revving to me...

bassplayer142 said:
Our next obstacle is looking for an appropriate fan. I have been thinking about car radiator fans but I don't know if it can be safely mounted and allow enough ft^3/min. Anyone have any experience with this? thanks

A radiator fan might be large enough depending on the weight you need to lift and how high it needs to go. I've seen estimates that mechanical puller fans pull around 10,000 cfm or more at multiple thousands of rpms (say 4000 rpm).

1. What materials do I need to build a hovercraft?

To build a hovercraft, you will need a large piece of sturdy plastic or tarp, a leaf blower or vacuum cleaner, a piece of plywood or cardboard, and duct tape or hot glue. You may also need additional materials for decoration or to improve the functionality of your hovercraft.

2. Do I need any special skills or tools to build a hovercraft?

No, building a hovercraft does not require any special skills or tools. However, it does require patience and attention to detail. You may also need basic tools such as scissors or a knife to cut the materials.

3. How long does it take to build a hovercraft?

The time it takes to build a hovercraft may vary depending on your experience and the complexity of your design. Generally, it can take anywhere from 1-3 hours to build a hovercraft.

4. Can I use any type of leaf blower or vacuum cleaner for the hovercraft?

Yes, you can use any type of leaf blower or vacuum cleaner to power your hovercraft. However, it is important to make sure that it is strong enough to lift the weight of the hovercraft and provide enough air flow for it to hover.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a hovercraft?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building and operating a hovercraft. Make sure to wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses. Also, be cautious of sharp edges when cutting materials and always test the hovercraft in a safe and open area.