What are a few good semiconducting materials?

• Thread starter Qaiphyx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a strong and inexpensive semiconductor for a specific application of creating a floating effect with magnets and liquid nitrogen. The person seeking advice was initially confusing superconductors with semiconductors and clarified their definition of "strong" to mean capable of lifting a decent amount of weight. They were directed to a website for further information on superconductors.
Qaiphyx
Prefferably the strongest for the lowest price :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be much more specific? Please tell us the application or problem you're trying to solve and let us know how far you've gotten so far. There are many, many types of semiconductors, polymer and ceramic, crystalline and polycrystalline, with various types of doping.

What is a 'strong' semiconductor?

Mapes said:
Can you be much more specific? Please tell us the application or problem you're trying to solve and let us know how far you've gotten so far. There are many, many types of semiconductors, polymer and ceramic, crystalline and polycrystalline, with various types of doping.

Hmm, like a naturally occurring one that is easy to obtain, inexpensive and can float magnetic objects. Kinda like the semi conductor train in japan I guess? I just want to make a little dilly with a magnet and get to float with liquid nitrogen and the semiconductor. What would be the best application for that?

Qaiphyx said:
Hmm, like a naturally occurring one that is easy to obtain, inexpensive and can float magnetic objects. Kinda like the semi conductor train in japan I guess? I just want to make a little dilly with a magnet and get to float with liquid nitrogen and the semiconductor. What would be the best application for that?

You are confusing "superconductor" with "semiconductor".

It still doesn't answer what you mean by "strong".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You are confusing "superconductor" with "semiconductor".

It still doesn't answer what you mean by "strong".

Zz.

Ah! Thats right haha. Um, I just mean capable of lifting a decent amount of weight I guess.

Last edited:

1. What are semiconducting materials?

Semiconducting materials are substances that have electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. This means they can conduct electricity, but not as well as a metal. They are used in electronic devices such as transistors and solar cells.

2. What makes a good semiconducting material?

A good semiconducting material should have a bandgap in the range of 1 to 3 electron volts (eV). This allows it to conduct electricity at room temperature, but also have the ability to be turned on and off, making it useful for electronic devices. It should also have high mobility, which means the electrons can move easily through the material.

3. What are some examples of good semiconducting materials?

Some commonly used semiconducting materials include silicon, germanium, gallium arsenide, and indium phosphide. These materials have the desired bandgap and high mobility, making them ideal for use in electronic devices. Other emerging semiconducting materials include graphene, carbon nanotubes, and perovskites.

4. How are semiconducting materials made?

Semiconducting materials are typically made through a process called doping. This involves adding impurities to the material to alter its electrical properties. For example, adding boron to silicon creates a p-type semiconductor, while adding phosphorus creates an n-type semiconductor. These two types of semiconductors are then combined to create a p-n junction, which is the basis for many electronic devices.

5. What are the advantages of using semiconducting materials?

Semiconducting materials have many advantages, including their ability to be easily manipulated through doping to create different types of electronic devices. They are also lightweight, flexible, and can be produced in large quantities at relatively low cost. Additionally, they have a wide range of applications, from computers and smartphones to solar cells and LEDs.