Why does thunder last for so long?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary: Must be frustrating when the tv just dies and you can't watch anything. I'm glad you have other ways to watch your tv.
tribdog
The monsoon is going nuts tonight. I am getting pounded by lightning strikes. At least one or two a minute, and they are close and loud. It's rattling the windows. I have a question, why does thunder go on for so long? I can hear it continuously for a good 10-15 seconds. I thought maybe it was just because of echos, but then I noticed that is starts quiet then booms then quiets. Echos can't get louder than the original sound can they?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you need to change your ways. :rofl:

Sorry it was my fault. I can't go into details, but rest assured I'm making amends to the Big Guy.

Okay, I thought there was a lot of lightning the other night. Tonight is the most lightning EVER! It is all cloud to cloud but there are AT LEAST 100 strikes per minute. It looks like a strobe light. It looks like the second coming. It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. There might be 200 strikes a minute. It looks like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie walking into a paparrazi convention.

Beautiful lightning storm here, too. Hey tribdog, are you from Arizona too?

I'm jealous. I love lightning.

Math Is Hard said:
I'm jealous. I love lightning.

What are you waiting for? If you are an engineer apply at a company in Arizona. It is a great place to be if you don't mind working for the military.

Yeah trib where are you? Our monsoon has been rather weak this summer..

Ironic, you keep reporting lightning, FROM A COMPUTER!

I'm in Mesa

I'm in Tucson. You have a big one coming your way, so keep your head down (or up!). There are 60 mph winds in Benson.

8340 strikes in the past hour. according to weather watch 5. 139 a minute

tribdog said:
8340 strikes in the past hour. according to weather watch 5. 139 a minute

Must be fun!

I was listening to song about sky crying other day:

"Everytime the rain comes down
Close my eyes and listen
I can hear the lonesome sound
Of the sky as it cries "

Last edited by a moderator:
9135 strikes and my tv just died. I don't have cable, but I get the digital channels with my rabbit ears. I sure hope all the digital channels are sent from the same antenna and it just got stuck by lightning because I can't get a signal on any channel. Hope i didn't just fry my brand new hdtv.

Now I'm getting 5-1 and 5-2. they must be on a different antenna. I've lost 3-1,8-1,8-2,8-3,8-4,10-1,12-1,12-2,15-1,15-2, 45-1,45-2,51-1,51-2,51-3,51-4,61-1.
I know it's nothing compared to satellite or cable, but this free digital you get with rabbit ears are pretty cool.

Get off the damn computer you goon, lol.

1. What does the statement "Alright, Who ticked off God?" mean?

The statement "Alright, Who ticked off God?" is a rhetorical question often used to express frustration or disbelief about a situation that seems to have gone wrong or is not working as expected. It implies that someone or something has angered or upset a higher power or deity.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of a higher power or deity getting upset or angry?

As a scientist, I am not qualified to make claims about religious or spiritual beliefs. However, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of a higher power or deity having human emotions such as anger or being capable of getting upset. These are subjective human experiences that cannot be scientifically measured or proven.

3. Can natural disasters or other events be attributed to a higher power or deity being upset?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that natural disasters or other events are caused by a higher power or deity being upset. These events can be explained through natural phenomena and scientific principles. As scientists, we use evidence and data to understand and explain the world around us, rather than relying on supernatural or religious explanations.

4. Is the statement "Alright, Who ticked off God?" meant to be taken literally?

No, the statement is not meant to be taken literally. It is a figure of speech used to express frustration or disbelief. It is not a statement that should be interpreted as having a literal meaning or scientific explanation.

5. How can we explain the concept of a higher power or deity being upset if there is no scientific evidence for it?

As mentioned before, as scientists, we use evidence and data to understand and explain the world around us. The concept of a higher power or deity being upset falls under the realm of religious or spiritual beliefs, which are not within the scope of science. It is up to individuals to interpret and understand the concept of a higher power or deity in their own personal beliefs and faiths.