Applying to Caltech as transfer

• Admissions
  • Thread starter eminent_youtom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Caltech
In summary, applying to Caltech as a transfer student can be extremely competitive due to its selective undergraduate admissions process. Despite this, the individual in question has a strong academic background with a 3.74 overall GPA and completion of challenging courses such as calculus, physics, and programming. They also have relevant research and work experience, as well as membership in honor societies and clubs. Although some may argue that the same level of education and training can be found at other UC schools, the individual is drawn to Caltech for its ongoing research and competitive environment. Ultimately, they are considering applying to Caltech despite potential rejection, as it is their dream school and they do not want to regret not trying in the future.
eminent_youtom
Applying to Caltech as transfer !

FACT Caltech is one of the most competitive, and one of the best universities of the world due to which undergraduate admission is too selective. Additionally, I know the fact that during the last 5 years only 32 transfer students from 2-years institutions were admitted.
Problem
Currently, I am studying in one of a California community college and transferring to 4 years institution, hopefully UC Berkeley, next fall as a physics major.
I was wondering should I give a try to Caltech?

If somebody ask me the same question, I would obviously say yes! Why not. However my main concern is whether it is worth to spend time preparing for the entrance test or better to focus my classes and get ready for UC.

Let me write about myself
Background: Schooling from a small village of Nepal
Did high school over there,
Studying in: one of the California community College,
Unit Completed: 68 units by this fall,
GPA: 3.74 overall, 3.89 science and math,
Classes Completed: calculus series, Differential equation and linear algebra, Physics series and will complete intro chem., C++ programming, and a bio.
Awards: President Honor list, Dean List
USS pellias scholarship, leadership service award,
Taking honor classes :))
Research experience: summer research in Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, particle physics R&D group
Work experience: salesman in a jewelry store :D, math tutor from last year
Club: not so active, though member of PTK (honor society), EOPS, and bunch of other club , I have almost 6-7 months, so hopefully by that time I can be active and involve in social works 
Recommendation: Can get good recommendation (hope so) letters from my summer research mentor, professor of UC Berkeley, and research coordinator.

One of my friends took entrance test last year and was rejected, so I have some clue about how her tests were. Thus, I guess if I will spend reasonable time preparing for the test, I might do well in the entrance test. Despite my simple background and being an average student, is there any chances that I will get accepted into Caltech for my undergraduate. As I was in UC Berkeley during this summer for summer research through some Transfer program, hopefully I will get accepted for next fall: coz last year 100% of the students from the program who conducted research were accepted.
Sometime I feel like let me give a try nobody knows my luck :D , but I am afraid that I will be too occupied by the idea of preparing and applying to Caltech, and there is no any point if I am already a weak candidate.
Your answers are appreciated
Thanks for your time
~~ youtom

Physics news on Phys.org

UC Berkley has more than enough the same level of Education and Programs that Caltech has to offer. Some of my friends that studied in a Community College that held an above 4.0- 5.0 GPA still couldn't even get into Berkley, let alone have any chance whatsoever in getting into Caltech.

Everything they do pretty much can be done in the same level of training in any UC in California. Is your intentions in selecting a University are for seeking knowledge, or is it just for the fancy school name?

Thankx Hippo
Hippo said:
Some of my friends that studied in a Community College that held an above 4.0- 5.0 GPA still couldn't even get into Berkley,
I guess they are still in high school coz community college calculate GPA out of 4.0. Anyway, i understand what you are saying, it is not the point that you are trying to make.
Everything they do pretty much can be done in the same level of training in any UC in California. Is your intentions in selecting a University are for seeking knowledge, or is it just for the fancy school name?
It is obvious that Caltech is a dream school for science students. However, the reason behind my interest is due to the ongoing researches which are related to my interests
and the competition level they have.

As long as you won't be devestated by rejection, what's to be lost by trying? The worst that could happen is they could say no.

Honestly? You'll need more to get into CalTech because it is a fact that top universities are biased against community colleges. It's not my decision, but I know a lot of CCs (even the top one in my state) where a 4.0 is very easy to maintain- and the admissions counselors know it.

lisab said:
As long as you won't be devestated by rejection, what's to be lost by trying? The worst that could happen is they could say no.

exactly, i agree with you, that motivates me to apply for Caltech so that i will not regret in future :D
anyway thankx

Last edited:

MissSilvy said:
Honestly? You'll need more to get into CalTech because it is a fact that top universities are biased against community colleges. It's not my decision, but I know a lot of CCs (even the top one in my state) where a 4.0 is very easy to maintain- and the admissions counselors know it.

yup i agree with you, i know it is not that difficult to get 4.0 in cc, if we study bit more than average people, although i don't have one because of my English classes. And i agree that, they are biased against community college. However, my question is what can i do more than that. As i don't have 4.0 i can't get at any cost. and i understand that i am not so strong candidate for caltech. Thus i was wondering, what should I do?? should I forget about it and apply for grad school coz i will be rejected for undergrad anyway :D :D:tongue:

Oh! Apply of course. It's not like you have only one shot at applying in your lifetime. You can always apply again when you're gearing up for grad school :)

(At worst, at least you'll get essay writing practice. At best, you might be admitted. So take a shot)

Do you mind if I ask what brand of Physics you are interested in and of the research topic?

MissSilvy said:
Oh! Apply of course. It's not like you have only one shot at applying in your lifetime. You can always apply again when you're gearing up for grad school :)

haha you are right. Actually i did apply into summer research program this summer and was rejected. I knew that i was going to be rejected because on the first place, i haven't even completed sophomore level physics classes, no programming background, no chemisty but still i applied coz nobody knows future :D

"Try Try until we die" (though i don't want to be rejected so many time that i will never make it :)) )

Hippo said:
Do you mind if I ask what brand of Physics you are interested in and of the research topic?

absolutely not, i am interested in theoretical physics, especially in gravitational field and other famous discipline such as Superstring theory, quantum gravity, quantum field theory, cosmology, particle phenomenology,

To tell you honestly, I am at community college and haven't even taken quantum mechanics or other basic physics classes, so i don't know the real world of physics.

Not to be mean but...Cal-Tech admitted...8 transfer students last year.
THey only admit 200 students or so too.

Try Ucal or UCLA or Stanford.

eminent_youtom said:
absolutely not, i am interested in theoretical physics, especially in gravitational field and other famous discipline such as Superstring theory, quantum gravity, quantum field theory, cosmology, particle phenomenology,

Firstly, how do you know you are interested in these areas if you've never studied them? Secondly, by all means try and transfer, but I'm not entirely sure that Caltech need to take students that have had to attend community college (especially not the theoretical physics department at Caltech!)

eminent_youtom said:

That's graduate school material, except for particle physics. Many universities do offer an undergraduate level introduction to particle physics. At the undergraduate level, beyond what you've taken already, you mostly study "basic" stuff like quantum mechanics, E&M, thermo, etc. You have a few years to go, and a lot of material to absorb, before you can begin to approach, say, superstring theory beyond the level of pop-science books. If you can get into Berkeley, and do well there, you'll be in great shape.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but I never knew it was so difficult to get into CalTech. Coming from Australia, I always thought it would be more difficult to get into UCB or Stanford. Those 2 unis seem more well known

'well known' is a relative term. It depends on the population you are referring to.

Getting admission into Caltech is difficult as it is, for theoretical physics it is darn right ridiculous.

I am aware of kids with amazing IQs, extremely good knowledge of physics (including modern) DFQs, programming (including assembly, C, MATLAB etc), incredible SAT scores etc who did not make it to Caltech (I have worked there and at JPL for two summers). These kids are just 12th graders in high school, mind you.

It indeed is extremely competitive and as a transfer student you will need to show far more than grades to get in. Obviously we are all making it sound daunting but please go ahead and try. Otherwise you will never know.

Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA and USC all offer amazing theoretical physics programs that you should look into if also not outside of California. Caltech is definitely not for everyone. If you want even a remote shot at a normal life (like girls?) look elsewhere.

I for one find all sorts of heavenly bodies interesting. Why limit yourself.

jtbell gives good advice.

Last edited:

I'm not affiliated with Caltech, but as a high schooler I was interested in Caltech so I researched their admission process.

Caltech values academic extracurriculars and early scientific "breakthroughs" -- people who published or at least wrote papers during their high school years, and won in ISEF and/or got to semis in Siemens or STS. They also value the AMC10/12 and AIME tests more than the SAT, so if you can get that nailed, you'd be in PLENTY good shape. Scientific passion is important, but alone it just won't cut it.

Oh and did I mention there are transfer exams you got to take?

Look into UCSB as well. There Physic program is 10th in the nation or so. 7th in Particle Physics.

kehler said:
Sorry to go slightly off topic but I never knew it was so difficult to get into CalTech. Coming from Australia, I always thought it would be more difficult to get into UCB or Stanford. Those 2 unis seem more well known

All three are very good schools... however, UCB is *huge* (22,700 undergraduates), Stanford is medium-sized (6700), and CalTech is *tiny* (900). It makes a difference in how hard it is to get in...

What are the eligibility requirements for transfer students applying to Caltech?

To be eligible for transfer admission to Caltech, students must have completed at least one year of college coursework and have a strong academic record in math, science, and engineering courses. Additionally, students must have a minimum GPA of 3.5 and have completed the necessary prerequisite courses for their desired major.

What is the application process for transfer students at Caltech?

The application process for transfer students at Caltech involves submitting a completed application, official transcripts from all colleges attended, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores (SAT or ACT with writing). Additionally, transfer students must submit a Transfer Midterm Report and a Transfer Academic Evaluation Form.

What is the deadline for transfer applications to Caltech?

The deadline for transfer applications to Caltech is February 15th for the fall term and October 15th for the winter term. It is important to note that Caltech does not offer spring admission for transfer students.

Does Caltech offer financial aid for transfer students?

Yes, Caltech offers financial aid for transfer students. To be considered for financial aid, transfer students must submit the CSS Profile and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Caltech also offers need-based scholarships and merit-based scholarships for transfer students.

What criteria does Caltech consider when evaluating transfer applications?

Caltech considers a variety of factors when evaluating transfer applications, including academic performance, course rigor, personal essays, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities. Additionally, transfer applicants must demonstrate a strong interest in pursuing a degree in science, engineering, or technology at Caltech.