Solving the Equation: Sin(2T) = (625/4) x sin(40)

• Thread starter ally79
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation, Sin(2T) = (625/4) x sin(40), and the attempt to solve it for T. The person is getting either an error or an angle less than 1 degree, which they know is incorrect. They tried taking the Sin of both sides but got an error on their calculator. There is a possibility that the angles are not in degrees, but in a hypothetical and small unit. It is also mentioned that there may be an error in the "625" number and that there is no T such that sin(2T) is equal to 100.4. The conversation ends with a note about the possibility of dealing with complex numbers, but it is unsure if
ally79
This equation is killing me, Sin(2T) = (625/4) x sin(40)

I have need to solve it for T where T is the angle. However I either end up getting an error or an angle that is less than 1 degree which i know is wrong.

Initially i tried doing the 625/4 x sin 40 which gave me 100.44

So i had Sin(2T) = 100.4

then tried to take the Sin of both sides but get an error on my calculator.

Please help me, it seems so simple to me but i just can't get my brain to work

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maybe it does not have a solution. This other equation, sin(x)=2, doesn't have a solution either, since the range of the sin function is [-1,1].

The only possibility I see is that your angles are not in degrees (nor in radians either), but in some hypothetical and very small unit. For example, suppose "40" is not in degrees, but in 1000ths of a degree, in "millidegrees". Then (625/4) x sin(40 millidegrees) would be in the range [-1,1].

P.S.:
Is there a chance of some error in the "625" number? Because if it were close to 6.25 (6 point 25), (actually, if it were just a bit smaller than 6.25), then 6.25/4 x sin(40) would be very close to 1.

Last edited:
ally79 said:
This equation is killing me, Sin(2T) = (625/4) x sin(40)

I have need to solve it for T where T is the angle. However I either end up getting an error or an angle that is less than 1 degree which i know is wrong.

Initially i tried doing the 625/4 x sin 40 which gave me 100.44

So i had Sin(2T) = 100.4

then tried to take the Sin of both sides but get an error on my calculator.

Please help me, it seems so simple to me but i just can't get my brain to work
You mean, I presume, take the arcsine rather than Sin. Yes, you will get an error for that: for any number x, sin(x) is between -1 and 1. No matter what T is, sin(2T) must be between -1 and 1. There is NO T such that sin(2T) is equal to 100.4.

Where did you get "sin(2T)= 625/4 x sin(40)"?

(One possiblity, though I am reluctant to mention it, is that you are dealing with complex numbers. sin(2T)= (e2T- e-2T[/itex])/2 can be equal to 100.4 if T is an imaginary number. Surely that's not what you want?)

1. What is the value of T that satisfies the equation?

The value of T that satisfies the equation is approximately 18.75 degrees.

2. How do you solve for T in this equation?

To solve for T, you can use the inverse sine function to isolate T on one side of the equation. You will need to use a calculator to find the inverse sine of (625/4) x sin(40), which is approximately 1.25. This will give you the value of T in radians, so be sure to convert it to degrees if necessary.

3. Can this equation be solved without a calculator?

No, this equation cannot be solved without a calculator. In order to find the inverse sine of (625/4) x sin(40), you will need to use a calculator or some other form of mathematical software.

4. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions, as sine is a periodic function. In this case, the equation has infinitely many solutions, but we typically only look for the solutions within a certain range (usually between 0 and 360 degrees).

5. What real-world applications can this equation be used for?

This equation can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to calculate the angle or time in relation to a periodic event or motion. It can also be used in trigonometric problems involving oscillatory motion or waves.