Understanding Cauchy Sequences: Solving for a_n in an Inductive Definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a sequence a_n and how to determine its convergence. The book and the speaker have different approaches to solving the problem, with the speaker using algebra and the book using the Taylor series. However, they both come to the conclusion that the sequence converges. The conversation also touches on the concept of a Cauchy sequence and how it relates to convergent series.
Unassuming
Let a_1 and a_2 be arbitrary real number that are not equal. For [tex]n \geq 3[/tex], define a_n inductively by,

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{2} (a_{n-1}+a_{n+2} )[/tex]

I cannot get the result that the book gets. I proceed,

[tex]a_{n+1} - a_{n} = \frac{1}{2}(a_n + a_{n-1} ) - \frac{1}{2} (a_{n-1} + a_{n-2} ) = \frac{1}{2} ( a_n - a_{n-2}
)= \frac{1}{2}(a_n + a_{n-1} ) [/tex]

The book got the answer,

[tex] a_{n+1} - a_n = \frac{-1}{2} (a_n - a_{n-1} ) [/tex]

Any help for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got some typos in there that are making this really confusing. The original recursion is a_n=(1/2)*(a_n-1+a_n-2), right? That says 2*a_n-a_n-1=a_n-2. I agree with the book.

I can't see it. I've done some algebra and I still can't get anywhere from your last step.

You've got a_n+1-a_n=(1/2)(a_n-a_n-2), right? Put the expression for a_n-2 into that. If you still aren't getting it show your work.

I got it. Thanks Dick

Here's a "cheat":
Since [itex]\sum x^n/n![/itex] is the Taylor's series for ex, 1+ 1/2!+ 1/3!+ ... converges to e. Since it converges, it is a Cauchy sequence!

Or you could just note that the numeric series converges by the ratio test. Again, since it converges, it is a Cauchy sequence.

But I doubt that either of those answers is what was wanted!

Those are nice things to put the problem into perspective though. Sometimes I (and hopefully others) get lost in the algebra of the problem.

What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the terms become closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. In other words, for any positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all the terms are within that distance from each other.

How is a Cauchy sequence different from a convergent sequence?

While both Cauchy sequences and convergent sequences involve terms becoming closer together, the key difference is that a Cauchy sequence does not have a specific limit or value that it approaches. Instead, it is defined by the behavior of its terms.

Can a Cauchy sequence be divergent?

No, a Cauchy sequence cannot be divergent. This is because the definition of a Cauchy sequence requires the terms to become closer together, which would not be possible if the sequence was diverging.

How can I determine if a sequence is a Cauchy sequence?

To determine if a sequence is a Cauchy sequence, you can use the Cauchy convergence criterion. This states that for a sequence to be Cauchy, the terms must become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. This can be checked by calculating the distance between terms and seeing if it becomes smaller and smaller.

What is the importance of Cauchy sequences in mathematics?

Cauchy sequences are important in mathematics because they are used to define the concept of completeness in a metric space. This is a fundamental concept in analysis and is essential in understanding the properties of real numbers and other mathematical structures.