Is Pursuing Honors Physics Worth the Extra Effort?

In summary, the title of graduating in honors physics is more prestigious than simply having a physics degree, but it may not be worth it if it lowers the GPA. Taking honors may give you a better chance of getting into a good graduate school.
lax1113
Hey guys,
I am applying to University of Delaware and was wondering if the title of graduating in honors physics was all that much better than simply physics. It is a lot more writing intense according to the description, which makes me think that it will bring my grade down, because writing bores the hell out of me. Anyway, is taking honors worth it for getting a better job/better grad school versus the chance of lowering GPA?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's my understanding that most graduate schools accept only people who have completed honours programs. The non honours streams tend to have too general of a focus and don't often give the student the appropriate background to prepare him or her for graduate work.

What matters most if you applying to a graduate program (in my experience) is your research experience and GRE's. The questions you need to know the answers to are: Will your research opportunities (at your home institution and for summer programs like REU's) be limited on a non-honors track? Will your courses prepare you adequately for the GRE and for graduate core coursework on the non-honors track?

Note: you will need to write scientific papers if you go on to get your Ph.D.

Now-a-days most scientific communication is written... So no honours, no Phd.

Wow. Some of them answers were not at all what i expected, but hey, that's why i asked the question right? I had no idea that an honors degre mattered so much in the area of acceptance into graduate school. Is this pretty much universal or for just sciences? For example, would a mathematics major be expected to be honors to get into a PHD program? just curious. Thanks for the responses guys.

Last edited:
Well, lax1113, working in the lab has taught me an important thing: mastery of mundane scientific concepts is not enough to be a scientist. One must be able to communicate to truly be a scientist, after all, a scientist unable to communicate his findings or his data correctly and eloquently cannot survive too long.

The honors curriculum pushes the student to perform unique research and to get a taste of graduate school and what is to be expected in your future endeavors.

Kingdomof,
Thanks for your reply. It definately makes sense the concept that knowing is different than being able to put something in a way that other people can also know. I know that sounds very basic, but I completely understand what you mean, and it does appear that honors is the way to go for futher studies. I sent my application last night without applying for the honors program but if i do end up going there, one can apply for honors after the first semester as long as a 3.40 is maintained and the faculty approve of it. Of course, if I cannot maintain a 3.40 there is no reason for me to think about honors because the course load would have been too heavy as it is. I doubt this will be an issue though. Thanks you very much for replies fellas.

I'm sure maintaining the 3.40 isn't going to be hard. That's a little over a B+ average. I'm sure you have an aptitude for Math and Physics as well.

Work hard and good luck. I'm glad I could be of help.

What is the difference between honors and non-honors physics?

Honors physics is typically a more rigorous and advanced version of a standard physics course. It may cover more topics, delve deeper into concepts, and have more challenging assignments and assessments.

Will taking honors physics improve my college application?

It depends on the college and their admissions criteria. Some colleges may value a student taking a more challenging course, while others may not place as much emphasis on it. It is important to research the specific colleges you are interested in to see how they view honors courses.

Is it necessary to take honors physics to be successful in college?

No, it is not necessary to take honors physics to be successful in college. While taking honors courses can be beneficial, it is not the only factor in college success. It is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and not overwhelming yourself with too many difficult courses.

Will honors physics help me in my future career?

Honors physics can provide a strong foundation in physics principles and problem-solving skills that can be applicable in many STEM careers. However, it is not a guarantee of success in a career and other factors such as practical experience and soft skills are also important.

Can I switch from non-honors to honors physics or vice versa?

It depends on your school's policies and availability of spots in each course. It is important to speak with your guidance counselor or physics teacher to see if a switch is possible and if it is the best decision for your academic goals.