How Can I Design an Anti-Tilt Frame to Withstand a Force of 5 kg?

In summary, if you want a frame that won't tilt, an equilateral triangle is the best design. The angle of the triangle, a, is equal to the height of the frame, H, divided by the mass of the frame, M.
starcrossed
I am trying to find the force necessary to tilt a vertical frame.

I have a triangular frame, which is standing on one of its sides vertically. I am applying a force or around 5 kg's in the horizantal direction on its upper corner. how do i design the frame so that it will not tilt under this force? what should the angles, and the base width be for optimum design.

i have a hunch that an equilateral triangle will be the best disign for anti-tilt frame. Please correct me if i am wrong.

The weight of frame will me around 1 kg and the height 20 to 30 cm.

(diagram attached )

Attachments

• Tilting force on frame.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is basicaly a geometry problem. The condition for not tiliting can established by observation of the torques. Now we don't want it to tilt over the intersection point of sides B and C.
Lets figure out the torques on the system. There is a the torque resulting from the gravity acting on the three sides of the frame. This effect on the three sides can be considered as a single force acting in the center of mass of the frame, in this case the centroid or geometric center of the triangle. Denote the sum of the masses of the indivual sides of the frame as M.
The force acting on the top point as F. The side lengths as a,b,c (as on the diagram) Then the condition for not tilting is:

[tex]Mg\cdot r_s \geq F\cdot H [/tex]

where [tex]r_s[/tex] is the "hand" of the force with respect to the tilting point.

Now we only need to calculate r_s. This is:

[tex]r_s = \frac23 s_a \cos\theta [/tex]

Where s_a is the length of the line connecting the tilting point and the center of the side a. [tex]\theta [/tex] is the angle enclosed by s_a and c.
Using the cosine law and the geometry of the triangle (If you need I can write down explicitly, but this really is just geometry.. :D) s_a and \theta can be calculated, so we have for r_s:

[tex]r_s= \frac{3c^2+b^2-a^2}{6}[/tex]

Plugging this into the torque inequality and rearranging we have for the side c:

[tex]c \geq \sqrt{\frac{2FH}{M}+\frac{a^2-b^2}{3}}[/tex]

So this is how you have to choose c, so that the frame doesn't tilt.

Thank you very much for the precise answer.

If i keep the frame as right angle triangle, with a=H=height, and angles as 90, 45 and 45 degrees, then b becomes the hypoteneus=28, with M=1 kg, F=3 Kg, the equation goes negative. i guess i am wrong somewhere...

Last edited:
The unit for force is Newtons. So I guess under a force of 3kg, you mean weight of 3kg, this means that: F=3kg*10m/s^2 = 30N

And your equation won't go negative.

But if you say you want a right angled triangle with 45 45 90, and you know the height, then you already determine all of the sides... :D

What is tilting force on a frame?

Tilting force on a frame is the force that causes an object or structure to lean or tilt in a particular direction. It can be caused by various factors such as gravity, wind, or external forces acting on the frame.

How is tilting force calculated?

Tilting force is typically calculated by taking into account the weight of the object or structure and the angle at which it is tilting. The formula for calculating tilting force is force = weight x sine(angle).

Why is it important to consider tilting force in structural design?

Considering tilting force is crucial in structural design as it helps engineers and architects ensure the stability and safety of a structure. Neglecting to account for tilting force can lead to structural failure or collapse, causing harm to people and property.

What are some ways to mitigate tilting force on a frame?

There are several ways to reduce or mitigate tilting force on a frame, including using diagonal bracing, increasing the weight at the base of the structure, or designing the structure to be aerodynamic to withstand wind forces.

How does the shape of a frame affect tilting force?

The shape of a frame can greatly impact the amount of tilting force it experiences. For example, triangular or pyramidal shapes are more resistant to tilting forces compared to rectangular or square shapes. This is because triangular shapes distribute the force evenly along its sides, while rectangular shapes concentrate the force on its corners.