First Order Linear Differential Equation

In summary, the correct solution for the given equation is y = (exp(6x)+69)/10. However, the algebraic mistake made by the person was not distributing the exponent on the right side, resulting in an incorrect solution.
ganondorf29

Homework Statement

10 y′+ 10 y = 7 exp(6*x)
y ( 0 ) = 7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I divided everything by 10 because the coefficient of the y' should be 1
Then I found the integrating factor, which was exp(integral of 1*dx) = exp(x) = Integrating factor

I multiplied to all three terms:
exp(x)*y' + exp(x)*y = (7*exp(2x))/10
(y*exp(x))' = (7*exp(2x))/10

I then integrated the above and got
y*exp(x) = exp(7x)/10 + C
y = exp(6x)/10 + C

Solving for c y ( 0 ) = 7

7 = exp(0)/10 + C
7 = 1/10 + C
C = 69/10

I got my final answer to be y = (exp(6x)+69)/10

However, the my homework says that's wrong. Does anyone know where I messed up?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your algebra is off, because when you divide the right side you should get y=exp(6x)/10 + C*exp(-x)

djeitnstine said:
Your algebra is off, because when you divide the right side you should get y=exp(6x)/10 + C*exp(-x)

I just realized that too. Thank you

1. What is a first order linear differential equation?

A first order linear differential equation is a type of differential equation that can be written in the form dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x), where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x. It is called linear because the dependent variable y appears only to the first power and there is no product of y and its derivatives.

2. How do you solve a first order linear differential equation?

To solve a first order linear differential equation, you can use the method of integrating factors. This involves multiplying both sides of the equation by a function called the integrating factor, which is equal to e^(integral of P(x)dx). This will convert the equation into a form that can be easily integrated to find the solution for y.

3. What is an initial value problem for a first order linear differential equation?

An initial value problem for a first order linear differential equation is a problem where you are given the value of the dependent variable y at a specific value of the independent variable x, and you need to find the general solution of the differential equation. This initial condition is usually denoted as y(x₀) = y₀, where x₀ is the given value of x and y₀ is the given value of y.

4. Can a first order linear differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a first order linear differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the solution of a first order differential equation contains an arbitrary constant, and different choices for this constant can lead to different solutions. Each solution will satisfy the differential equation, but they may differ in their initial conditions.

5. What are the real-world applications of first order linear differential equations?

First order linear differential equations have many real-world applications, such as modeling population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They can also be used to model the motion of objects under the influence of a force, such as a falling object or a projectile. In general, any situation that involves a continuous change in a quantity can be modeled using a first order linear differential equation.