Solving for the inital value problem Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution of a differential equation and determining its validity, as well as a request for help in solving the equation. The solution is provided, along with a question about the validity of the initial condition. Ultimately, it is determined that the issue was a mistake in the initial condition and the solution is a simple application of the quadratic formula.
Wellesley
I believe my question is better suited in this area, instead of Homework, but I may be wrong.

This is what I'm given:

(9x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y-1) dx - (4y-x) dy =0 y(1) =3

Solve the initial value problem and determine at least where the solution is valid.

I did solve the problem, but I end up with this:

A.) 3x[tex]^{3}[/tex]+xy-x-2y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=2

When my calculator solves for Y, I get the same answer as the book does. However, I'm rather stumped at how the book gets this answer:

B.) y = [x - (24x^3+x^2-8x-16)[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]] / 4.

Can anyone help me to get from point A to point B? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wellesley said:
Can anyone help me to get from point A to point B? Thanks.

Hi Wellesley! :smile:

(this should have been in the homework section)

solve 2y2 - xy + (3x3 -x - 2) = 0 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Wellesley! :smile:

(this should have been in the homework section)

I think this should be:

[tex]2y^2-xy-(3x^3-x-2)=0[/tex]

:smile:

P.S. the solution is indeed the correct one, however, aren't there suppose to be two if you rewrite it as in the book?

coomast

tiny-tim said:

Sorry, I'm still not able to solve the equation for y by hand. Would you be able to show how you did it? Thanks.

coomast said:
I think this should be:

[tex]2y^2-xy-(3x^3-x-2)=0[/tex]

:smile:

P.S. the solution is indeed the correct one, however, aren't there suppose to be two if you rewrite it as in the book?

coomast

I think your equation is correct, but I'm still not able to solve for y...it has been some time since I've worked with that kind of Algebra.

There is only one equation because only one satisfies the initial condition y (1) = 3.

Last edited:
Wellesley said:
Sorry, I'm still not able to solve the equation for y by hand. Would you be able to show how you did it? Thanks.

Hi Wellesley! Hi coomast! :smile:

Use the standard quadratic equation formula {-b ± √(b2 - 4ac)}/2a :wink:

But can you please check the initial condition, y = 3 at x =1, because none of the steps seem to fit that :redface:

Wellesley said:

Can you solve:

[tex]ay^2+by+c=0[/tex]

I think it is:

[tex]y_{1,2}=\frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

Wellesley said:
There is only one equation because only one satisfies the initial condition y (1) = 3.

OK, I didn't know this. :approve:

[edit]I should read the OP better, my fault. Anyway, is that correct?
pfff, tiny-tim is faster...[/edit]

coomast

[edit 2]Something is wrong I am going to recheck everything[/edit 2]

Last edited:
coomast said:
[edit 2]Something is wrong I am going to recheck everything[/edit 2]

For x=1 I get y=0 and y=1/2 using the OP's solution.
Using the solution in the book gives y=0.

Now is y(1)=3 used for determining the constant of integration? In that case there is something wrong because it is not fullfilled by the solution.

Wellesley, can you give some info on how you solved the DE?

coomast

I will come back tomorrow, it's late and I have to get up soon to get to work.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Wellesley! Hi coomast! :smile:

But can you please check the initial condition, y = 3 at x =1, because none of the steps seem to fit that :redface:

Sorry about that. I copied the inital condition from the problem above. It should be y (1) = 0

Thanks guys. I can't believe the answer is that simple...Here I am thinking that I had to somehow complete a square with a cubic exponent, or worse. Instead, it was the quadratic formula that never seems to go away.

Last edited:

1. What is an initial value problem differential equation?

An initial value problem differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies a given set of conditions. These conditions include the value of the function at a specific point, as well as the relationship between the function and its derivatives at that point.

2. How do I solve for the initial value problem differential equation?

To solve for the initial value problem differential equation, you will need to use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and then using the initial conditions to solve for the constant of integration.

3. What are the initial conditions in an initial value problem differential equation?

The initial conditions in an initial value problem differential equation refer to the given values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. These conditions are typically denoted as y(x0) = y0 and y'(x0) = y’0, where x0 is the point and y0 and y’0 are the respective values of the function and its derivative at that point.

4. Can the initial value problem differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, the initial value problem differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the constant of integration that is used to solve the equation can take on different values, resulting in different solutions. However, if the initial conditions are specific enough, there may only be one unique solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving initial value problem differential equations?

Some real-world applications of solving initial value problem differential equations include predicting population growth, modeling chemical reactions, and analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits. These equations are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to describe and predict various phenomena.