Intensity of a laser through a converging lens

In summary, the question involves finding the distance at which the intensity of a laser beam passing through a converging lens with a focal length of 19cm has increased by a factor of 6. The formula for intensity is I=\frac{P}{A}, where P is power and A is area. To solve this, we can use the fact that intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. By setting the intensity at the lens position as I1 and at a distance x from the focus as I2, we can find the relation between I1 and I2 and solve for x. The correct equation for I1 is P/pi*0.19^2 and for I2 is P/pi(0.19
k3N70n

Homework Statement

A laser beam passes through a converging lens with a focal length of 19cm. At what distance past the lens has the laser beam's intensity increased by a factor of 6?

Homework Equations

[tex]I=\frac{c\epsilon_0 E_0^2}{2} [/tex]??

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I'm not even sure how to start on this question. I think I just need a hint to get started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Intensity is inversely proportional to square of the distance. Assume that at focus the intensity is maximum, say Io.
What will be the intensity (I1) at the lens position?
What will be the intensity (I2) at a distance x from the focus?
What is the relation between I1 and I2?

rl.bhat said:
Intensity is inversely proportional to square of the distance. Assume that at focus the intensity is maximum, say Io.
What will be the intensity (I1) at the lens position?
What will be the intensity (I2) at a distance x from the focus?
What is the relation between I1 and I2?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm now trying to understand the formula given in my text [itex]I=\frac{P}{A}[/itex]

So I'm thinking that [tex]I_1=\frac{P}{\pi r^2}[/tex]?

If so then [tex]I_2=\frac{P}{\pi r^2}=6I_1=\frac{6P}{\pi 0.17^2}[/tex].
so r=0.0694m. Thus the distance from from the lense is 10.1cm. I entered this into my assignment online and was informed I was incorrect. Any idea as to where I went wrong?

Check your calculations. From where did get 0.17?
The equations should be I1 = P/pi*0.19^2
And I2 = P/pi(0.19- x )^2 where x is the distance from the lens. Put I2 = 6I1.Solve for x.

Thanks. Somehow .17 turned into .19. I've got it now. Really appreciate the help.

1. What is the relationship between the intensity of a laser and a converging lens?

The intensity of a laser through a converging lens is directly proportional to the power of the laser and the focal length of the lens. This means that as the power of the laser or the focal length of the lens increases, the intensity of the laser also increases.

2. How does the distance between the laser and the converging lens affect the intensity of the laser?

The distance between the laser and the converging lens can affect the intensity of the laser. As the distance increases, the intensity of the laser decreases due to the spreading out of the laser beam. However, this effect is minimal for a converging lens with a short focal length.

3. Can the material and coating of the lens affect the intensity of the laser?

Yes, the material and coating of the lens can affect the intensity of the laser. Different materials and coatings have different levels of transmittance, which can impact the amount of light that passes through the lens and therefore the intensity of the laser.

4. How can the intensity of a laser through a converging lens be measured?

The intensity of a laser through a converging lens can be measured using a power meter. The power meter is placed at the focal point of the lens and measures the power of the laser beam. The power can then be used to calculate the intensity using the formula: Intensity = Power / Area.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with high-intensity lasers through a converging lens?

Yes, it is important to follow safety protocols when working with high-intensity lasers through a converging lens. This includes wearing appropriate eye protection and ensuring that the laser beam is not pointed towards anyone. It is also important to handle the laser and lens carefully to avoid any accidents.