Dial up with a mobile phone

• Thread starter okwatia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary, dial up with a mobile phone works by using a cellular network to establish a connection between the mobile device and the internet service provider, providing portability and convenience. However, it may have limitations such as slower speed and potential signal issues. While it can be used for all internet activities, it may not be the most efficient option for heavy data usage. It is generally considered secure, but it is still recommended to use a trusted network for sensitive information.
okwatia
I want to know how to configure my K750i as a dial up modem

Computer science news on Phys.org

I can provide you with the steps to configure your K750i as a dial-up modem. Please note that this process may vary slightly depending on your specific phone model and carrier.

1. First, make sure your phone is connected to your computer via a USB cable.

2. On your phone, go to the Settings menu and select Connectivity.

3. Then, select USB Connectivity and choose USB Modem.

4. Next, go back to the Connectivity menu and select Internet Settings.

5. Scroll down to Internet Profiles and select Add New.

6. Enter a name for your new profile (e.g. Dial-Up Modem) and select OK.

7. In the APN field, enter the dial-up number provided by your carrier. This is typically *99#.

8. Leave the username and password fields blank.

9. Save your settings and exit the menu.

10. On your computer, go to the Network and Sharing Center (Windows) or Network Preferences (Mac).

11. Select Set up a new connection or network and choose Connect to the Internet.

12. Select Dial-up and enter the phone number provided by your carrier in the Dial-up phone number field.

13. Leave the username and password fields blank and click Connect.

14. Your computer should now be connected to the internet through your K750i's dial-up modem.

Please note that using your phone as a dial-up modem may incur additional charges from your carrier. It is recommended to check with your carrier for any data or usage limits before using this method.

1. How does dial up with a mobile phone work?

Dial up with a mobile phone works by using a cellular network to establish a connection between the mobile device and the internet service provider. This connection allows the mobile phone to transmit data to and from the internet, similar to how a traditional dial-up modem uses a phone line to connect to the internet.

2. What are the advantages of dial up with a mobile phone?

The main advantage of dial up with a mobile phone is its portability. As long as there is cellular coverage, a mobile phone can be used to access the internet from anywhere. Additionally, it does not require any physical connections or equipment, making it a convenient option for those on the go.

3. Are there any limitations to dial up with a mobile phone?

Yes, there are some limitations to dial up with a mobile phone. One major limitation is the slower speed compared to other internet connection options. Additionally, signal strength and coverage can affect the reliability of the connection.

4. Can I use dial up with a mobile phone for all internet activities?

While dial up with a mobile phone can technically be used for all internet activities, it may not be the most efficient or practical option. Due to the slower speeds and potential limitations, it may be more suitable for basic tasks such as checking emails or browsing the web, rather than heavy data usage like streaming videos or online gaming.

5. Is dial up with a mobile phone secure?

Dial up with a mobile phone is generally considered to be secure, as cellular networks use encryption to protect data transmission. However, it is always recommended to use a secure and trusted network when accessing sensitive information online.