What Does it Take to Get into Top Graduate Schools in Physics and Math?

In summary: Average GRE scores for accepted students at top schools range from a low of 153 to a high of 3.97. There's no one magic number, but a GPA of 3.80 is generally a good starting point.
pjfoster
Hi all. I'm a Physics/Math major at the University of Iowa and have a few questions about getting into graduate school. What does it take to get into schools like Harvard, MIT, University of Chicago, or UIUC? I've looked though the information on gradschoolshopper.com, and from that I can get average GRE scores, but what about average GPA's? I've also looked through the admissions profiles on the physics GRE forum, and from that I can glean some specific examples about people getting into some of these schools, but I'm wondering about averages. Is a GPA of 3.80 too low to consider applying to these top schools? I'm a domestic student if that matters. If anyone attends these schools, could you estimate the average GPA of entering graduate students? Also, I'm wondering about extracurricular activities. I'm in a few honors societies, and am/was in a few clubs on campus. Do schools care about things like having leadership positions or volunteer experiences? I have a few research experiences (A year at Iowa in a one group, and a summer REU). Would I be a better candidate if I continued devoting a large chunk of time to research, or if I sacrifice some research opportunities to pursue leadership positions? I realize that there's no set answer to this, but I'm curious about priorities in the admissions process. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
GPA isn't as important as you may think it is - I wouldn't be discouraged from applying to particular grad schools based on your GPA. (Well, I wasn't. Maybe I should have been. But my GPA was a lot lower than yours. ;-)

I get the impression that research experience is a major factor in getting into a good graduate school. So I'd suggest not sacrificing research opportunities to pursue leadership positions. You're probably not going to be leading a whole lot in grad school anyway, except a section or two of a class if you have TA duties.

I don't think its possible to give you reasonable advice without a PGRE score but more research is good.

1. What is the typical application process for graduate school admissions?

The application process for graduate school admissions usually involves submitting an online application, official transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT). Some programs may also require a resume and/or writing samples. After all materials are submitted, the admissions committee will review the application and make a decision.

2. What are the most important factors that graduate schools consider when evaluating applicants?

The most important factors that graduate schools consider when evaluating applicants vary depending on the program, but typically include undergraduate GPA, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and relevant work or research experience. Some programs may also consider a candidate's personal statement and overall fit with the program.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree to be accepted into a graduate program?

No, it is not always necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree to be accepted into a graduate program. Many graduate programs accept students from a variety of academic backgrounds, as long as the applicant meets the other qualifications and requirements for the program. However, some programs may have specific prerequisite courses or may give preference to applicants with a related undergraduate degree.

4. How important are standardized test scores in the graduate school admissions process?

The importance of standardized test scores in the graduate school admissions process varies among programs. Some programs may place a high emphasis on test scores, while others may consider them as just one aspect of the application. It is important to research the specific requirements and preferences of the programs you are interested in to determine the importance of test scores in their admissions process.

5. Are there any tips for standing out in the graduate school admissions process?

There are several ways to stand out in the graduate school admissions process. First, make sure to thoroughly research and understand the program you are applying to and tailor your application materials accordingly. Additionally, showcase your unique skills, experiences, and accomplishments in your personal statement and letters of recommendation. It can also be helpful to reach out to faculty or current students in the program to learn more and make a good impression. Finally, make sure to submit a complete and well-organized application by the deadline.