Where to find a chart of animal brain and body masses?

In summary, there are multiple places where one can find a chart of animal brain and body masses, including scientific literature, online databases, and displays at museums or zoos. There is not one specific website or resource that provides a complete chart, but there are some websites that offer detailed information on specific animal groups or species. These charts can include both extant and extinct animals, but their accuracy may vary and should be consulted from reputable sources. They can be useful for research purposes in understanding the relationship between brain and body size in different animal species and making predictions for unstudied animals.
Simfish
Gold Member
I've tried googling and using google scholar, but to no avail? I'm especially interested about avian (bird) brain masses. Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
Start by googling (if that is a word) for 'encephalization quotient'

I understand your frustration in finding a chart of animal brain and body masses, specifically for avian species. However, there are a few resources that may be helpful in your search.

First, I would recommend checking scientific journals and databases such as PubMed and Web of Science. These platforms often have articles and studies that include data on animal brain and body masses, including avian species. You can also try using specific keywords such as "avian brain mass" or "bird brain weight" to narrow down your search.

Additionally, there are several online databases and repositories that compile data on animal brain and body masses, such as the Brain Catalogue and the Animal Diversity Web. These resources may have the specific information you are looking for.

Lastly, I would suggest reaching out to experts in the field of avian neuroscience or ornithology. They may have access to unpublished data or be able to point you in the direction of relevant studies or resources.

I hope this helps in your search for a chart of animal brain and body masses. Keep in mind that scientific research is constantly evolving, so it's possible that the specific information you are looking for may not be readily available. But with persistence and utilizing various resources, you may be able to find the data you need.

1. Where can I find a chart of animal brain and body masses?

There are several places where you can find a chart of animal brain and body masses. One option is to search for scientific literature, as many studies on animal physiology include this information. You can also check online databases, such as the Animal Diversity Web or the Encyclopedia of Life, which provide comprehensive information on different animal species. Additionally, some museums or zoos may have charts or diagrams on display that compare the brain and body masses of various animals.

2. Is there a specific website or resource that provides a complete chart of animal brain and body masses?

There is not one specific website or resource that provides a complete chart of animal brain and body masses. However, there are some websites, such as the Comparative Mammalian Brain Collections, that offer detailed information on specific animal groups or species. It is also useful to consult multiple sources to get a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

3. Can I find a chart that includes both extant and extinct animals?

Yes, there are charts available that include both extant (currently living) and extinct animals. These charts may be more difficult to find, but they can be found in scientific publications or online databases that specialize in paleontology and evolutionary biology.

4. How accurate are these charts?

The accuracy of the charts of animal brain and body masses can vary depending on the source and the methods used to collect the data. It is important to note that these charts are based on averages and may not accurately represent every individual animal. Additionally, as new research and discoveries are made, the data may change, so it is important to consult the most recent and reputable sources.

5. Are these charts useful for research purposes?

Yes, charts of animal brain and body masses can be very useful for research purposes. They can provide valuable information on the relationship between brain size and body size in different animal species, which can help scientists better understand the evolution and behavior of these animals. These charts can also be used for comparative studies and to make predictions about the brain and body masses of animals that have not yet been studied.