A rock dropped from a cliff using speed of sound

In summary: Rearranging, 4.9(t1^2)+340t1-249.63=0. This is a quadratic equation so using the quadratic formula, i get the following:(t1= 6.67s or t1= -9.39s)I can't have a negative time, so i'm going to assume that it takes t1=6.67s for the rock to hit the ocean. Now i solve for d in the first equation:d=1/2(9.8)(6.67^2)d=221.13mSo the height of
ndnkobra

Homework Statement

A rock is dropped from a sea cliff and the sound of it striking the ocean is heard 5.1 s later. If the speed of sound is 340 m/s, how high is the cliff?

Homework Equations

d=v/t(didnt work)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt at this problem was to try that formula above, but it was not the correct way to do this problem. I then realized that the time i had was the total time, and that i needed to find the time it took for the rock to hit the water, or the time it took for the speed of sound to go up, which i need distance for. I am now stuck there :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

You are indeed correct that we first need to determine the time taken for the rock to fall. How do you suppose that we could work that out?

From all i know is that you have to divide your distance by 2. Because you are calculating it from bottom to top.

Maroc said:
From all i know is that you have to divide your distance by 2. Because you are calculating it from bottom to top.
And why would we want to divide it by two?

Not so simple, rock drops due to gravitational acceleration whereas sound travels at the speed of sound. Division by two is not the answer. Integrate and compare the time lag. 5.1 seconds sounds suspiciously close.

Hi there,

You have to divided the problem in two parts. One where the rock is in free fall. Then, once the rock hits the ocean, the sound is emitted and travels at constant speed.

Cheers

This problem could be interpretted in two ways:

1) the rock is dropped and the total time elapsed is 5.1 seconds until the sound is heard. A two part problem where the two parts will have to be equated to each other in terms of distance.

2) the rock is dropped and the dropper sees it hitting the ocean and hears the sound 5.1s later. In this case it is simply the distance that a sound wave would travel in 5.1 seconds at 340m/s

redargon said:
This problem could be interpretted in two ways:

1) the rock is dropped and the total time elapsed is 5.1 seconds until the sound is heard. A two part problem where the two parts will have to be equated to each other in terms of distance.

2) the rock is dropped and the dropper sees it hitting the ocean and hears the sound 5.1s later. In this case it is simply the distance that a sound wave would travel in 5.1 seconds at 340m/s
I would say that it's quite clear that the only correct interpretation is #1. The question clearly states that the rock is dropped and then 5.1 seconds later a sound is heard. It does not say that the rock is dropped it hits the ocean and 5.1 seconds later a sound is heard.

Hootenanny said:
And why would we want to divide it by two?

oh nvm got confused with another problem. Sorry.

Okay, so i took the time to look over this problem and separated the problem into two parts. I let d be my distance, so d = (0)(t1) + 1/2(9.8)t1^2. t1 being my first time. I then took d = vt and used the speed of sound for this problem, so d = (340m/s)(t2). t2 being my second time. i then made the problems equal to each other so (340)t2 = 1/2(9.8)(t1^2). I seem to be stuck here, can anyone help me with the algebra in this problem?

Getting warmer...t1+t2=5.1s, so t2=5.1-t1. I therefore can substitute in 340(t2) as 340(5.1-t1)=4.9(t1^2)

1. How long does it take for a rock to reach the ground when dropped from a cliff using the speed of sound?

The time it takes for a rock to reach the ground when dropped from a cliff using the speed of sound depends on the height of the cliff and the speed of sound in that particular medium. For example, if the cliff is 100 meters high and the speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second, it would take the rock approximately 0.29 seconds to reach the ground.

2. Can a rock be dropped faster than the speed of sound?

Yes, a rock can be dropped faster than the speed of sound. The speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second, while the speed at which objects fall due to gravity (known as the terminal velocity) can reach up to 55 meters per second for a typical rock. However, this speed is not constant and can vary based on the size, shape, and density of the object.

3. What factors can affect the speed at which a rock drops from a cliff using the speed of sound?

The speed at which a rock drops from a cliff using the speed of sound can be affected by several factors, including the height of the cliff, the speed of sound in the medium, the shape and size of the rock, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can all influence the time it takes for the rock to reach the ground.

4. Is the speed of sound consistent for all mediums?

No, the speed of sound can vary depending on the type of medium through which it is traveling. For example, sound travels faster in solids than in liquids, and faster in liquids than in gases. The speed of sound also depends on the temperature and pressure of the medium. In general, sound travels fastest in solids, followed by liquids, and then gases.

5. Can the speed of sound be used to determine the height of a cliff?

Yes, the speed of sound can be used to estimate the height of a cliff. By measuring the time it takes for a sound to travel from the top of the cliff to the bottom and using the known speed of sound in that medium, the height of the cliff can be calculated. However, this method may not be accurate if there are other factors that can affect the speed of sound, such as wind or temperature changes.