Laurent series: addition and multiplication of series

In summary, the Laurent series for f(z) around z=0 is given by 2z^2*(-1/3*sum(z^n/2^n) - 2/3z*sum(1/3*2^(n-2)*z^n)) + sum((-1)^n*3^(2n+1)/(z^(4n+2)*(2n+1)!)) for all z with 1/2<|z|<2, and it converges absolutely in z=-i.
libelec
Find the Laurent Series around z=0 for [tex]f(z) = \frac{{2{z^2}}}{{2{z^2} - 5z + 2}} + \sin (\frac{3}{{{z^2}}})[/tex], so that the series absolutely converges in z = -i

The Attempt at a Solution

The singularities of f are z = 0, z = 1/2 and z=2. The Laurent series will converge absolutely in z = -i for the one whose ROC is 1/2 <|z|< 2.

First, I tried to separate the polynomial fraction in partial fractions:

[tex]\frac{{2{z^2}}}{{2{z^2} - 5z + 2}} = 2{z^2}\left( {\frac{1}{{(z - 2)(z - \frac{1}{2})}}} \right) = 2{z^2}\left( {\frac{2}{{3(z - 2)}} - \frac{2}{{3(z - \frac{1}{2})}}} \right)[/tex].

I left the 2z2 outside because it is its own Laurent series around z = 0 for all z, so I can work the partial fractions easier (I don't remember how to do it when the grades of both polynomials are the same).

Second, I find the series for each fraction and for the sine around z = 0 in the ring 1/2 <|z|< 2. For that, I will have to find the Laurant series of the fraction with (z - 1/2) around a vecinity of infinite. I will compare the fractions with the geometrical series and use a variable change for the sine:

a) [tex]\frac{2}{{3(z - 2)}} = \frac{{ - 2}}{{3(2 - z)}} = \frac{{ - 1}}{{3(1 - \frac{z}{2})}} = \frac{{ - 1}}{3}\left( {\frac{1}{{1 - \frac{z}{2}}}} \right) = \frac{{ - 1}}{3}\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{z^n}}}{{{2^n}}}} ,\forall z/\left| z \right| < 2[/tex]

b)[tex]\frac{{ - 2}}{{3(z - \frac{1}{2})}} \to \frac{{ - 2}}{{3z(1 - \frac{1}{{2z}})}} = \frac{{ - 2}}{{3z}}\left( {\frac{1}{{1 - \frac{1}{{2z}}}}} \right) = \frac{{ - 2}}{{3z}}\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{2^n}{z^n}}}} ,\forall z/\left| z \right| > \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

c)Since [tex]\sin (u) = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{{( - 1)}^n}{u^{2n + 1}}}}{{(2n + 1)!}}}[/tex], using the variable change u = 3/z2, [tex]\sin (\frac{3}{{{z^2}}}) = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{{( - 1)}^n}{3^{2n + 1}}}}{{(2n + 1)!{z^{4n + 2}}}}}[/tex], this for all z except z = 0.

Conclusion: Therefore I have that
[tex]f(z) = 2{z^2}\left( {\frac{{ - 1}}{3}\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{z^n}}}{{{2^n}}} - \frac{2}{{3z}}\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{2^n}{z^n}}}} } } \right) + \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{{( - 1)}^n}{3^{2n + 1}}}}{{(2n + 1)!{z^{4n + 2}}}}} ,\forall z/\frac{1}{2} < \left| z \right| < 2[/tex]

Now, I can't find a way to get an unique expression for the series' coefficients an. This is what is troubling me.

I tried it this way: since [tex]\frac{2}{{3z}}\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{2^n}{z^n}}}} = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{{3.2}^{n - 1}}{z^{n + 1}}}}} = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{{3.2}^{n - 2}}{z^n}}}} = \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^{ - 1} {\frac{{{2^{n - 2}}{z^n}}}{3}}[/tex] (is this right?), then, I can add that series with the other one inside the parenthesis, because there's no single power of z in both series that repeats itself (one is a series of only positive powers and 0, the other a series of only negative powers). But then I would have an expression for an for n>0 and another one for n<0. That wouldn't change much after I multiply by 2z2, since it multiplies both series and keeps the fact that they don't have powers of z in common.

As the matter of fact, the expression for an for n<0 will get more complicated after I add the series of the sine function.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody?

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of powers of the independent variable, including negative powers. It is often used to represent functions with singularities or poles, which cannot be represented by a Taylor series.

2. How do you add two Laurent series?

To add two Laurent series, you simply add the coefficients of like powers. For example, if you have two series with the form ∑ anzn and ∑ bnzn, the sum of the two series would be ∑ (an + bn)zn.

3. Can you multiply two Laurent series?

Yes, you can multiply two Laurent series. To do so, you use the Cauchy product, which involves multiplying the coefficients of like powers and then summing the resulting terms. This can often result in a new series with both positive and negative powers.

4. How do you determine the convergence of a Laurent series?

The convergence of a Laurent series depends on the radius of convergence, which is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest singularity. If the radius of convergence is greater than the distance to the nearest singularity, then the series will converge. If the radius of convergence is smaller than the distance to the nearest singularity, then the series will not converge.

5. Can a Laurent series be used to approximate a function?

Yes, a Laurent series can be used to approximate a function. However, it may not always be a good approximation, especially if the function has singularities or poles. In these cases, a Taylor series may be a better choice for approximation.