Thinking of studying Astrophysics in Canada - A few questions ^^

In summary: I'm not sure if they're required for a Physics degree, but they certainly give you more options if you want to specialize in something.
TidusBlade
Well I'm in high school right now, grade 11 to be exact and I've started looking around for any interesting universities. I might change but I'm thinking of doing Astrophysics or major in Physics then move onto Astrophysics. I also know that I want to study in Canada so enough background, I just had a few questions that I was hoping I could get some opinions on, I'd really appreciate it!

1) Not really looking for the "best" university but what's a fun Canadian university to study Astro/Physics in? I gathered by reading around that you get to do much more research at a smaller uni and that the environment is generally better, just don't want to spend 4+ years studying in a place and regret it once I see how it is elsewhere. I don't really care about prestige and stuff, just want to study Physics properly in a fun environment.

2) I was thinking of majoring in Astrophysics but it seems that majoring in Physics then doing Astrophysics as a grad student seems to be a better choice and I have no idea why, what's the difference?

Forgot my third question ^^' Guess this is more than enough though, really appreciate any answers since I'm sort of confused, Thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reason that physics->astrophysics works better is that if you do physics then senior year you decide that you don't want to do astrophysics you have more options.

I'd agree that Physics -> Astrophysics does sometimes provide more options, however for a typical UK undergrad the main differences between the Astro and Physics courses are that the Astro people take modules such as Stellar Physics, Cosmology, Galaxies etc instead of the solid state modules (i.e. Lasers, Semiconducter Devices). All core modules are done by all (including Quantum, Electromagnetism, Math methods etc).

I think that its probably worth taking Astro modules if you're interested in them.

1. What universities in Canada offer Astrophysics programs?

Some of the top universities in Canada that offer Astrophysics programs include the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, McGill University, and University of Waterloo.

2. What are the admission requirements for studying Astrophysics in Canada?

The specific admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, you will need to have a strong background in physics and mathematics, as well as high grades in these subjects. Some universities may also require you to have taken certain prerequisite courses, such as calculus or mechanics, before being admitted into the program.

3. Are there any scholarship opportunities for studying Astrophysics in Canada?

Yes, there are several scholarship opportunities available for students studying Astrophysics in Canada. You can check with the specific universities you are interested in to see if they offer any scholarships, or you can also look into external scholarships offered by organizations or foundations in the field of Astrophysics.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in Astrophysics from Canada?

Graduates with a degree in Astrophysics from Canada have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Some of the most common career paths include working as a research scientist, data analyst, science writer, or in the aerospace industry. Many graduates also go on to pursue further education in the form of a master's or doctoral degree in Astrophysics.

5. Can I study Astrophysics in Canada if I am an international student?

Yes, international students are welcome to study Astrophysics in Canada. However, you will need to meet the admission requirements for the specific university you are interested in and obtain a study permit from the Canadian government. It is also important to keep in mind that tuition fees for international students may be higher than for domestic students.