What is the meaning and origin of Young's Modulus in building materials?

In summary, the physics behind Young's modulus is related to the stiffness of a material's individual atomic bonds. Stronger bonds generally result in higher stiffness. Polymers are relatively compliant (soft) because for small strains, you're just straightening out the chains rather than stretching the covalent bonds.
phyzzy_physh
Hi everyone, :smile:

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm still relatively new to the forum. :blushing:

I'm an engineer studying Young's modulus in building materials. I have a passing interest in physics, but let's say my knowledge of the subject is far from exhaustive! :rolleyes:

I'm interested in finding out the physics behind Young's modulus, and what causes/changes it. The books I've found so far detail how to measure it, and what it is as a physical property (i.e. stress over strain), but not the intrinsic meaning of it or where it comes from.

If anyone could offer any physics wisdom on this, or even point me in the direction of texts/papers discussing it, you'd really be helping me out; I've hit a bit of a dead end at the moment.

Cheers,

Phyzzy Physh :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd probably enjoy looking at a mechanics of materials book (like Callister, Dowling, or Courtney). Young's elastic modulus is related to the stiffness of a material's individual atomic bonds. Stronger bonds generally result in higher stiffness. (Stronger bonds also generally result in higher melting temperatures, so more refractory materials are frequently stiffer.)

EDIT: Ah, I should also cover polymers in case you're considering these. The above explanation applies well to ceramics and metals, whose atomic structure is essentially fixed, but polymers are long macromolecular chains that can slide past each other. Each chain contains stiff covalent bonds, but polymers are relatively compliant (soft). Why? Because for small strains, you're just straightening out the chains rather than stretching the covalent bonds. When you let go, the chains because disorganized again (like a necklace on a vibrating surface, for example). The technical way of saying this is that the Young's elastic modulus of metals and ceramics is enthalpy-based (bond lengths recovering a minimum-energy distance), while that of polymers is entropy-based (polymer chains recovering a disorganized state).

Last edited:
phyzzy_physh said:
Hi everyone, :smile:

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm still relatively new to the forum. :blushing:

I'm an engineer studying Young's modulus in building materials. I have a passing interest in physics, but let's say my knowledge of the subject is far from exhaustive! :rolleyes:

I'm interested in finding out the physics behind Young's modulus, and what causes/changes it. The books I've found so far detail how to measure it, and what it is as a physical property (i.e. stress over strain), but not the intrinsic meaning of it or where it comes from.

If anyone could offer any physics wisdom on this, or even point me in the direction of texts/papers discussing it, you'd really be helping me out; I've hit a bit of a dead end at the moment.

Cheers,

Phyzzy Physh :shy:

Suppose I asked you the following question:By how much does copper a copper wire stretch when it is subjected to a certain force?You might go on to explain the stretch in terms of the forces needed to pull the copper atoms further apart but you wouldn't be able to give me a numerical answer because the question is incomplete,more information is needed.The stretch depends not only on the material but also on its physical dimensions,the longer the wire the more it stretches and the smaller the cross sectional area of the wire the more it stretches.for a given load a long thin wire stretches more than a short thick wire.I could answer my own question if I looked up the Youngs modulus(E) of copper this being a property of the material and independant of its dimensions.Knowing the equation I could then plug the numbers into work the answer out.

E=(Fl)/(Ae) F=force l= length A= area e= extension(I remember it as E= flea)

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated :wink:

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It describes the relationship between stress (force per unit area) and strain (amount of deformation) in a material when it is subjected to tensile or compressive forces.

2. How is Young's Modulus calculated?

Young's Modulus is calculated by dividing the stress by the strain in a material. It is typically measured in units of megapascals (MPa) or gigapascals (GPa). This calculation allows for a direct comparison of the stiffness of different materials.

3. What is the significance of Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is an important property in materials science and engineering, as it helps determine the ability of a material to withstand stress and maintain its shape. It is crucial in the design and testing of structures and components, such as buildings, bridges, and machines.

4. How does temperature affect Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is dependent on temperature, with most materials exhibiting a decrease in stiffness as temperature increases. This is due to thermal expansion, which causes the material to expand and become less resistant to deformation. However, some materials, such as elastomers, can exhibit an increase in Young's Modulus with increasing temperature.

5. What are some examples of materials with high and low Young's Modulus?

Materials with high Young's Modulus include steel, titanium, and tungsten, which are commonly used in structural applications due to their stiffness and strength. Materials with low Young's Modulus include rubber, foam, and some plastics, which are more flexible and less stiff. The Young's Modulus of a material is dependent on its composition, structure, and processing methods.