Will this CPU be fully compatible with this motherboard?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary, the conversation discusses the compatibility of an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 processor and 6GB of DDR2-800MHz RAM with the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard. The user is considering upgrading from a Foxconn G33 to the Gigabyte motherboard and has concerns about compatibility. They mention having a 750W PSU and a Cooler Master HAF 932 full tower case. It is confirmed that the processor and RAM will work fine with the motherboard, and the user is advised to consult the manual for further assurance. The Gigabyte motherboard is deemed to be an excellent upgrade from the Foxconn.
The_Absolute
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=gigabyte_ep45ud3p-_-13-128-358-_-Product

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Will my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 (2.66 GHz) be both physically, and electronically compatible with the motherboard in the link? I know that sometimes processors will not work on motherboards, even if has the same socket type. Due to bridge type, and FSB compatibility issues. If you are a computer whiz, especially when it comes to hardware, will my CPU work fine in this motherboard?

I also have 6GB of DDR2-800MHz RAM. Will that fit too? I was hoping to upgrade my motherboard for the holidays, from my Foxconn G33 to the Gigabyte motherboard listed in the link at the top of this post.

Also, use the following link to see detailed specifications on my current PC. Note that I have since upgraded the PSU from a 400W to a 750W. I have also purchased a Cooler Master HAF 932 full tower case, but have not had it installed yet as I do not currently have physical possession of my PC. It has been repaired by the manufacturer, and is being shipped via truck to the store in which I purchased my PC from.

I'll probably have it back within the next Two weeks. When I do, I'll pay them to transfer everything from my Gateway FX case, into the HAF 932.

http://www.productwiki.com/gateway-fx6710-01/

Scroll down to see the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
It looks good to me, but, if you want to be sure, try to find the manual for the motherboard, those are usually available online.

Excellent board, much better than the Foxconn. You shouldn't have any problems with the Core II and the RAM.

1. Will this CPU work with this motherboard?

The compatibility of a CPU with a motherboard depends on several factors, such as the socket type and chipset of the motherboard, and the generation and model of the CPU. It is important to check the specifications of both the CPU and motherboard to ensure compatibility.

2. Can I use an Intel/AMD CPU on a motherboard designed for the other brand?

No, Intel and AMD CPUs have different socket types and are not interchangeable. A motherboard designed for an Intel CPU will only be compatible with Intel CPUs, and the same goes for AMD.

3. Do I need a BIOS update for my CPU to work with this motherboard?

It depends on the specific motherboard and CPU you are using. Some newer motherboards may already have the necessary BIOS update to support newer CPUs, but for older motherboards, a BIOS update may be required. It is best to check the motherboard's website for compatibility and BIOS update information.

4. Can I use a higher or lower wattage CPU on this motherboard?

It is important to match the wattage requirements of the CPU and motherboard. Using a higher wattage CPU on a motherboard designed for a lower wattage may cause overheating and damage to the components. Similarly, using a lower wattage CPU on a motherboard designed for a higher wattage may not provide enough power for optimal performance.

5. What happens if my CPU is not compatible with my motherboard?

If the CPU is not compatible with the motherboard, it will not work at all. In some cases, the computer may not even turn on. It is important to make sure the CPU and motherboard are compatible before purchasing to avoid any compatibility issues.