Please help me find a basic plane equation

• Thread starter krtica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the user is trying to find an equation of a plane through the point (3, -3, -2) that is parallel to the plane −2x+1y+4z=−6 and has a coefficient of x equal to -2. The user has input an equation, -2x+y+4z+23, but it does not go through the given point. They are asking for help on how to approach it differently and it is suggested to use the equation ax + by + cz = 0 and substitute the point in for x, y, and z to ensure it goes through the given point. The user then understands and thanks for the help.
krtica
Q: Find an equation of a plane through the point (3, -3, -2) which is parallel to the plane −2x+1y+4z=−6 in which the coefficient of x is -2.

The website asks you to format the answer equal to zero. My input is -2x+y+4z+23, but it shows wrong. I have checked my answer a couple of times, but am not sure how to approach it differently.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi krtica! Welcome to PF! :smile:
krtica said:
Q: Find an equation of a plane through the point (3, -3, -2) which is parallel to the plane −2x+1y+4z=−6 in which the coefficient of x is -2.

My input is -2x+y+4z+23 …

That doesn't go through (3, -3, -2). :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi krtica! Welcome to PF! :smile:

That doesn't go through (3, -3, -2). :wink:

Thanks!

Isn't the equation for a plane a(x-xi)+b(y-yi)+c(z-zi)=0? Where a,b,c are the vector components?

Yes, but if you have actual numbers, it's a lot easier to write it as ax + by + cz = …, and just fill in the number so that it fits the given point. :wink:

By filling in the numbers, do you mean substituting the point in x,y,z? I am not quite sure exactly what you mean, my apologies.

Yes, substituting the point in ax + by + cz …

then it's bound to go through that point, isn't it? :wink:

God! Got it.

Thank you, I really do appreciate your help.

1. What is a basic plane equation?

A basic plane equation is a mathematical representation of a plane in 3-dimensional space. It is typically written in the form of ax + by + cz + d = 0, where a, b, and c are the coefficients for the x, y, and z variables, and d is a constant.

2. How do I find the equation of a plane?

To find the equation of a plane, you will need to know at least 3 points on the plane or 2 points and a normal vector. Once you have this information, you can use the point-normal form or the standard form to write the equation of the plane.

3. What is the point-normal form of a plane equation?

The point-normal form of a plane equation is written as (x - x0)a + (y - y0)b + (z - z0)c = 0, where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the plane and (a, b, c) is the normal vector to the plane.

4. What is the standard form of a plane equation?

The standard form of a plane equation is ax + by + cz + d = 0, where a, b, and c are the coefficients for the x, y, and z variables, and d is a constant. This form is useful for graphing and visualizing the plane.

5. Can a plane equation have more than one solution?

No, a plane equation does not have multiple solutions. It represents a single plane in 3-dimensional space. However, different planes can have the same equation if they are parallel or coincident.