Finite Square Barrier Scattering Example with Reflection Coefficient Calculation

In summary, the Schrodinger equation in each of the regions comprising the left and right of the barrier and inside the barrier yields three solutions: \psi(x) = G e^{ik_{1} x} + H e^{-ik_{1} x }...x < 0\psi(x) = I e^{ik_{2} x} + J e^{-ik_{2} x }...0 \leq x \leq L\psi(x) = K e^{ik_{1} x} + L e^{-ik_{1} x } ...x > L The solution with the largest amplitude is reflected back the most, while the solutions with
ronaldoshaky
Hello to all,

I am looking at a scattering example in my book. A particle is incident from the left with energy E > Vo. The barrier is of width L, and located between x = 0 and x = L.

The solutions to the time-independent Schrodinger equation in eacch of the regions comprising the left and right of the barrier and inside the barrier are:

[tex]\psi(x) = G e^{ik_{1} x} + H e^{-ik_{1} x }... x < 0[/tex]

[tex]\psi(x) = I e^{ik_{2} x} + J e^{-ik_{2} x }...0 \leq x \leq L[/tex]

[tex]\psi(x) = K e^{ik_{1} x} + L e^{-ik_{1} x } ...x > L [/tex]

The example in the book gives the transmission coefficient [tex] T = \frac{|K|^{2}}{|G|^{2}} [/tex] but my question is what ratio gives the reflection coefficient?

I thought [tex] R = \frac{|H|^{2}}{|G|^{2}} [/tex] but does the constant [tex]J[/tex] play any part in determining the reflection coefficient?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think L = 0
G + H = I so H = I - G
I + J = K
so J = K - I

I just used the continuity of the wave function.

So reflection coefficient L = 0, H = I - G, J = K - I

right? I think its simple algebra when dealing with a single mode incoming wave.

Hi

I follow your algebra, but not sure I am understanding the whole picture. There is an example in my book with a finite square step and it has the reflection coefficient as

[tex] R = \frac{|H|^{2}}{|G|^{2}}[/tex]

Do I need to add the contributions from H and J in the square barrier example? I think I don't get the full picture of what you are saying. Can anyone shed any light on this. Thank you again.

The reflection coefficient is just H. Can you scan the textbook page?

I'm afraid I don't have a scanner.

Terminology problems abound. Using your original notation:

1) the amplitude of the reflected wave is H
2) the ratio of the amplitude of the reflected wave to the incoming wave is r=H/G (often called the reflection coefficient)
3) the reflection probability is the ratio of the flux in the reflected wave to the flux in the incoming wave. (R = |r|^2 k_1/k_1) (also sometimes called the reflection coefficient)
4) the amplitude of the transmitted wave is K
5) the ratio of the amplitude of the transmitted wave the incoming wave is t=K/G (often called the transmission coefficient)
6) the transmission probability is the ratio of the flux in the transmitted wave to the flux in the incoming wave. (T = |t|^2 k_3/k_1 where k_3/k_1 is the ratio of wavevectors in the different regions) (also sometimes called the transmission coefficient)

For it to make sense, you don't want the L wave coming into the barrier from x>L. Moreover, it's crazy to use L twice in the same problem.

H,I,J,K must be determined by boundary condition matching. Once you have done that, the reflection probability is |H|^2/|G|^2 (without any reference to J).

The point is that something complicated goes on in the middle, but you don't need to look at what is going on there to determine the probability of reflection, you just count how many particles you get back, divided by how many you sent in.

1. What is a finite square barrier?

A finite square barrier is a physical or mathematical model that describes a potential energy barrier in which the height and width of the barrier are finite and have a square shape. This model is commonly used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles encountering potential barriers.

2. How does a finite square barrier affect particles?

A finite square barrier can cause particles to behave in a variety of ways, depending on their energy and the height and width of the barrier. Some particles may be able to pass through the barrier, while others may be reflected or even trapped by the barrier.

3. What is the difference between a finite square barrier and an infinite square barrier?

The main difference between a finite and an infinite square barrier is that a finite barrier has a finite height and width, while an infinite barrier has an infinite height and width. This means that particles can potentially pass through a finite barrier, while they will always be reflected by an infinite barrier.

4. What is the significance of the transmission coefficient in a finite square barrier?

The transmission coefficient in a finite square barrier represents the probability that a particle will pass through the barrier. It is an important factor in quantum mechanics as it helps to predict the behavior of particles encountering potential barriers.

5. How is a finite square barrier experimentally observed?

A finite square barrier can be observed experimentally through various techniques such as tunneling microscopy, where the behavior of particles encountering the barrier can be visualized and studied. Other experimental techniques such as scattering experiments can also provide information about the interaction between particles and a finite square barrier.