Conceptual - Dot Product and Work

In summary, the following statements are true: the dot product assures that the integrand is always nonnegative, only the component of the force perpendicular to the path contributes to the integral, and the dot product indicates that only the component of the force parallel to the path contributes to the integral.
mybrohshi5
Conceptual ---- Work

Homework Statement

In general, the work done by a force F_vec is written as

[itex] W=\int_{\rm i}^{\rm f} \vec{F}(\vec{r})\cdot d\vec{r}. [/itex]

Now, consider whether the following statements are true or false:

1) The dot product assures that the integrand is always nonnegative.
2) The dot product indicates that only the component of the force perpendicular to the
path contributes to the integral.
3) The dot product indicates that only the component of the force parallel to the path
contributes to the integral.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest i have no idea about these. My professor doesn't teach, my book (which i just looked through for about 15 mins) doesn't talk about this anywhere, and yet it is on my homework :(

This is what i was thinking but i am really again not sure.

1) true
2) false
3) true

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Write (Provide) vector definition of the dot product.

By guessing or otherwise, you got two of them right, and one of them wrong. If a particle moves to the right and the force acting on it is to the right, is the work done by the force positive or negative? If the particle moves to the right and the force acting on it is to the left, is the work done by the force positive or negative?

This is what i found in my book.

Scalar product -> A . B = ABcos(theta)

PhanthomJay said:
By guessing or otherwise, you got two of them right, and one of them wrong. If a particle moves to the right and the force acting on it is to the right, is the work done by the force positive or negative? If the particle moves to the right and the force acting on it is to the left, is the work done by the force positive or negative?

moves to the right and force acting on it is to the right then work is POSITIVE.

moves to the right and force acting on it is to the left then work is NEGATIVE

so... is this saying that 1) is actually false because it can be negative?

mybrohshi5 said:
moves to the right and force acting on it is to the right then work is POSITIVE.
yes...
moves to the right and force acting on it is to the left then work is NEGATIVE
yes...
so... is this saying that 1) is actually false because it can be negative?
I am hesitating to give answers to true-false questions, so it is up to you to decide...:smile:

Thank you :)

What is conceptual work?

Conceptual work refers to the process of developing and refining ideas, theories, and concepts in order to solve problems or answer questions.

What is the importance of conceptual work in the scientific field?

Conceptual work is essential in the scientific field as it allows scientists to develop new theories, models, and hypotheses that can be tested and refined through experimentation. It also helps to bridge the gap between theoretical concepts and practical applications.

How does conceptual work differ from experimental work?

Conceptual work involves the development and refinement of ideas and theories, while experimental work involves conducting experiments to test those ideas and theories. Conceptual work is often done before experimental work in order to provide a framework for the experiments to be conducted.

What skills are necessary for successful conceptual work?

Successful conceptual work requires critical thinking, creativity, and strong analytical skills. It also involves the ability to think abstractly and make connections between seemingly unrelated ideas or concepts.

Can conceptual work be collaborative?

Yes, conceptual work can be collaborative. In fact, collaboration can often lead to more innovative and well-developed ideas as different perspectives and expertise are brought together. However, individual conceptual work is also important as it allows for personal exploration and development of ideas.