Classical Mechanics Video Lectures

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for classical mechanics video lectures and a book that can serve as a replacement for Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics. Suggestions for video lectures were made by Susskind, Balakrishnan, and Maloney. The conversation also references a blog post and a thread in a science book forum for additional resources.
physiker99
Hello,
I wonder if you got any suggestions for classical mechanics video lectures? I don't mean freshman physics, but rather the course which includes the topics such as central body motion, lagrangian, hamiltonian, etc. (I guess it is considered as an upper level course on most schools)

Physics news on Phys.org
Links are very helpful.
Thanks a lot! (and sorry for the late reply.)

Sorry to be posting under video lectures, but I couldn't find any posts on books for classical mechanics. Does anybody know of any book replacement for Marion and Thornton Classical Dynamics? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation, as described by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What topics are typically covered in classical mechanics video lectures?

Classical mechanics video lectures typically cover topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, rotational motion, and oscillations. They may also touch on more advanced topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

3. How can classical mechanics video lectures be useful for students?

Classical mechanics video lectures can be useful for students as they provide a visual and interactive way to learn about the fundamental principles of motion and forces. They can also help students develop problem-solving skills and gain a deeper understanding of the concepts.

4. Are there any prerequisites for watching classical mechanics video lectures?

While there are no strict prerequisites for watching classical mechanics video lectures, a basic understanding of mathematics (especially calculus) and physics concepts is helpful. Some lectures may also assume prior knowledge of introductory physics topics such as motion, forces, and energy.

5. What are some recommended resources for learning more about classical mechanics?

Aside from classical mechanics video lectures, there are many other resources available for learning more about this subject. Some popular options include textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It can also be helpful to attend lectures or join a study group led by a qualified instructor.