Find Vx: Inductor Assumed to Have No Energy Stored

In summary: So I don't have time to follow through your work, but you seem to be on the right track with your equations. Just rearrange them until you can find Vx in terms of the rest of the variables.In summary, the problem involves a circuit with a dependent voltage source, an independent current source, and an inductor with no initial stored energy. The voltage across the inductor is assumed to be zero at time t=0. The current source provides a constant current of 100 amps starting at time t=0. The goal is to find Vx using the node voltage method with the top node named "v1."
tritium_3

Homework Statement

find Vx for all t
inductor assumed to have no energy stored

[PLAIN]http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/773/circuitgt.jpg

Homework Equations

inductor v = L di/dt

unit step = 1 for t>0,
= 0 for t<=0

The Attempt at a Solution

using node voltage method, ground at the bottom, and "v1" for the top node

v1 = Ldi/dt ?
(v1 - .8 vx)/40 - 100u(t) + v1/60 = 0

2.5 v1 - 1.2Vx = 6000 u(t)

i fail.

Help anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"RL circuit with dependent voltage source and indep. current source with unit step"

Do you know what this shorthand means?

And do you know what the shorthand "inductor assumed to have no energy stored" means?

This looks like hasty notes scibbled in class, as the professor talks to fast. But it's important to know what these mean.

Phrak said:
"RL circuit with dependent voltage source and indep. current source with unit step"

Do you know what this shorthand means?

And do you know what the shorthand "inductor assumed to have no energy stored" means?

This looks like hasty notes scibbled in class, as the professor talks to fast. But it's important to know what these mean.

OK, maybe the title isn't accurate of the circuit, but i listed everything in the circuit. excuse me if it has some other meaning.

and also I was trying to add addtional details, saying that there was no mention of stored charge in the inductor. But this problem isn't a tranisent problem anyway, so that has no relevance..

these are not scribbled notes, this is a homework assignment, on a printed piece of paper. It seems the instructor wrote this up too fast.

But If you cannot help me, just say nothing at all. I am no closer to finding the solution if you simply just question my methods of describing the problem.

tritium_3 said:
OK, maybe the title isn't accurate of the circuit, but i listed everything in the circuit. excuse me if it has some other meaning.

and also I was trying to add addtional details, saying that there was no mention of stored charge in the inductor. But this problem isn't a tranisent problem anyway, so that has no relevance..

these are not scribbled notes, this is a homework assignment, on a printed piece of paper. It seems the instructor wrote this up too fast.

But If you cannot help me, just say nothing at all. I am no closer to finding the solution if you simply just question my methods of describing the problem.

No, no. The idea on this forum is that you show some work to get help. "Dependent" in this case means time dependent. The voltage of the voltage source is a function of time; it's time dependent. The current source is constant.

"Inductor assumed to have no energy stored" can't mean anything except that at some initial time there is no current flowing in the inductor. An inductor with current has stored energy, W=(1/2)Li2. So when you set up your problem, at time t0, set the current in the branch containing the inductor to zero.

You've been handed a lousy problem set-up. "unit step" is the function u(t) so it seems, so the current steps from zero to 100 amps at time t=t0.

Last edited:
right. I was just using the notion commonly used in my textbook. The voltage source is dependent because it depends on the value of Vx. The current source is independent since it provides 100Amps constantly no matter what, after time 0. Using circle as independent, and diamond as dependent. that's all i meant.

thanks for the hint. i see that from -infinity to 0 the current hasn't changed, so the V in inductor is 0.
this makes the inductor a short circuit.
[PLAIN]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8251/circuit2b.jpg

this is at time 0-
from -infinity to right before current source turns on.
[PLAIN]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8900/circuit2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
tritium_3 said:
right. I was just using the notion commonly used in my textbook. The voltage source is dependent because it depends on the value of Vx. The current source is independent since it provides 100Amps constantly no matter what, after time 0. Using circle as independent, and diamond as dependent. that's all i meant.

thanks for the hint. i see that from -infinity to 0 the current hasn't changed, so the V in inductor is 0.

You have everything right, but backwards. It's the language that is confusing you.

The voltage source is said to be indepentent of time, because it doesn't change over time. It's constant.

The current source changes at the time, t0, so it is said to be dependent upon time.

Initially, at time, t0 there is no current flowing in the capacitor so it looks like an open circuit. It looks like an infinite valued restistor for just a moment.

At time t0 the current suddenly changes from zero to 100 amps. This places a voltage across the 40 ohm resistor. This places a voltage across the inductor. When a step change in voltage is placed across the inductor, the current will initially increase at a constant rate. But it starts at zero.

I have to go; it's 3:30 AM here.

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that is designed to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire that is wound around a core material, such as iron, and is commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of current.

2. What does it mean for an inductor to have no energy stored?

When we say an inductor has no energy stored, it means that the magnetic field within the inductor has fully dissipated and there is no longer any stored energy within the component. This can happen when the current flowing through the inductor has been interrupted or when the inductor has been disconnected from the circuit.

3. Why is it important to find Vx for an inductor assumed to have no energy stored?

Finding Vx, the voltage across the inductor, is important because it allows us to determine the current flowing through the inductor. This information is necessary for analyzing and designing electronic circuits, as well as troubleshooting any issues that may arise.

4. How do you find Vx for an inductor assumed to have no energy stored?

To find Vx for an inductor assumed to have no energy stored, we can use the equation Vx = L(di/dt), where L is the inductance of the component and di/dt is the rate of change of current. If we know the inductance and the current flowing through the inductor before it was disconnected, we can calculate Vx.

5. What factors can affect the voltage across an inductor?

The voltage across an inductor can be affected by factors such as the inductance of the component, the current flowing through it, and the rate at which the current changes. It can also be affected by external factors such as the presence of other components in the circuit, the type of core material used in the inductor, and any resistance in the circuit.