Thermal Goggles, X-Ray Goggles, ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of thermal goggles and the speaker's fascination with exploring the infrared spectrum. They mention the possibility of purchasing thermal goggles, but also express concerns about their practical applications and cost. The conversation also touches on the principle behind thermal goggles and the difficulty of creating goggles for smaller wavelengths such as X-rays. The idea of using a smartphone and VR headset as an alternative to traditional thermal goggles is also mentioned.
nonequilibrium
I have no clue where to post this in the forum, but this seemed like a good place.

So of course there exists a thing like thermal goggles. Maybe it's partly due to me being still somewhat a kid (19 years old), but it seems terribly fascinating to be looking into a whole new spectrum: the infra-red. I'm tempted to buy thermal goggles, but it's pricy and I might be a bit disappointed with its applications, but on the other hand, it's truly nothing less than looking into a whole new spectrum, as I have said, and anybody interested in the physics of nature should be able to appreciate such a thing.

I wonder, what is the principle behind Thermal Goggles? And why is it so hard to go into small wavelengths? I have never heard of X-Ray Goggles for example. Do they exist? Is it possible in theory but just very expensive? Because if the infrared-spectrum sounds good to me, then the x-ray and gamma spectrum is just to exciting for words, isn't it.

Thanks for any input. I have no knowledge whatsoever on the practicalities of all of this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can make cameras that are sensitive to IR and UV. However they must actively detect light at the target wavelengths, then generate light at visible wavlenghs. That requires electronics, batteries, and screens. You could do it in a bulky helmet with HUD display.

The best way to achieve this is with a smart phone. You can get apps for IR or UV, perhaps with accessory hardware. You could then feed the phone to a VR headset. But goggles, no.

What are thermal goggles?

Thermal goggles are a type of eyewear that uses infrared technology to detect and display heat signatures. They work by detecting the different levels of infrared radiation emitted by objects and translating it into a visible image.

How do thermal goggles work?

Thermal goggles use a technology called thermal imaging to detect and display heat signatures. This technology measures the amount of infrared radiation emitted by objects and converts it into a visible image that can be seen by the wearer.

What are X-ray goggles?

X-ray goggles are a type of eyewear that uses X-ray technology to see through solid objects. They work by emitting X-rays and then detecting the radiation that passes through the objects, creating an image of what is behind them.

How do X-ray goggles work?

X-ray goggles work by emitting X-rays, which are a type of high-energy electromagnetic radiation. These X-rays penetrate through solid objects and are then detected by a sensor, which creates an image of the objects behind them.

Are thermal and X-ray goggles safe to use?

Yes, thermal and X-ray goggles are generally safe to use when following proper safety precautions. However, it is important to use them responsibly and avoid prolonged exposure to the radiation they emit.