Newton's laws : some math work

In summary, the first conversation involves finding the magnitudes of two forces, F1 and F2, given that a particle is at rest with a force of 65.0 N at an angle of 33.1 degrees. The second conversation asks for the force of air on a parachutist with a mass of 99.5 kg experiencing an upward acceleration of 1.09 m/s2 after opening a parachute. The third conversation involves finding the tension in three strings, t1, t2, and t3, given three angles and a weight. To solve these problems, trigonometry is used to find the components of the forces and ensure equilibrium.
ramenluver50

Homework Statement

1)The particle shown below is at rest, where F = 65.0 N, and θ = 33.1°. Find the magnitudes of F1 and F2.
4-p-005-alt.gif

2)Just after opening a parachute of negligible mass, a parachutist of mass 99.5 kg experiences an instantaneous upward acceleration of 1.09 m/s2. Find the force of the air on the parachute.
-specifically magnitude

3)Find the tension in each string in the figure below, where θ1 = 41.0°, θ2 = 20.5°, and w = 28.0 N. for t1, t2, and t3

4-p-029-alt.gif

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know...

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, if the particle is at rest, then what should the sum of the forces be in the x and y directions?

for the X and y for just F, i used sin 33.1=X/65 and for Y used cosine, but that's about the farthest I've went.

ramenluver50 said:
for the X and y for just F, i used sin 33.1=X/65 and for Y used cosine, but that's about the farthest I've went.

right, so if the particle is at rest, meaning it is in equilibrium, what should the resultant force be horizontally and vertically?

i think horizontal, but I am not sure

ramenluver50 said:
i think horizontal, but I am not sure

Are you familiar with the term equilibrium?

yes, where there is balance

ramenluver50 said:
yes, where there is balance

Right! So considering the x-direction, if there is balance, then shouldn't the forces point to the left be equal to the forces pointing to the right?

Similar for the y-direction.

so your saying if i just find the X and Y for F they X and Y should be the same force equivalence to F1 and F2? , i tried for X where sin 33.1=X/65, and X would be 35.5, apparently the answer is incorrect.
EDIT:*******
sorry, you are right, i entered the answer in the wrong answer slot, haha.. thx

ramenluver50 said:
so your saying if i just find the X and Y for F they X and Y should be the same force equivalence to F1 and F2? , i tried for X where sin 33.1=X/65, and X would be 35.5, apparently the answer is incorrect.
EDIT:*******
sorry, you are right, i entered the answer in the wrong answer slot, haha.. thx

Now try the second and third problems.

for Number 2,
i used the F=ma formula, where, 99.5 (1.09) to get the Newtons of 108, which is wrong...for #3, i got T3 which is 28 N, but for T1 and T2, do i just used T3 as the vertical measurement to find T1 and T2 ?

ramenluver50 said:
for Number 2,
i used the F=ma formula, where, 99.5 (1.09) to get the Newtons of 108, which is wrong...

108 is the resultant force on the body, what other forces are acting on the body?

ramenluver50 said:
for #3, i got T3 which is 28 N, but for T1 and T2, do i just used T3 as the vertical measurement to find T1 and T2 ?

Yes, that should work.

2) there is also gravity,not sure what to do with it though,

3) i did sin 41=28/T1 which gave me 42.6 , that isn't right bc its force is larger... :-/

ramenluver50 said:
2) there is also gravity,not sure what to do with it though

There is the force of gravity and what other force? (they asked you to find this force)

ramenluver50 said:
3) i did sin 41=28/T1 which gave me 42.6 , that isn't right bc its force is larger... :-/

You have T1 and T2 acting at their respective angles. These two force both have components in the x and y directions. What are these components? If the figure is in equilibrium, the sum of forces in any direction is ?

thx i got number 3 down,

the other resistance for number 2 is air...

ramenluver50 said:
thx i got number 3 down,

the other resistance for number 2 is air...

Good, so what directions do the weight and the force of air act?

wieght is downward force, and air is up...

ramenluver50 said:
wieght is downward force, and air is up...

Then what would be an expression in terms of these two for the resultant force?

Newtons...?

A force is a vector quantity,

which means it has a magnitude and a direction,

in your first question you are given the magnitude of the force = 65 N and the direction to be 65degrees
in the x&y direction

you can separate this force into the two forces that make that force i.e
[tex] Ftotal = Fxdirection + Fydirection [/tex]

but you're probably wondering how you get the force in the X direction from the total force?

use trigonometry , that is your F total to be the hypotenuse, Fx to be your adjacent, and Fy to be your opposite

just use basic trigonometry to figure fx and fy out

and you know that the particle is at rest,
so f1 must = -fx
and f2 = -fy
otherwise the particle would start moving!

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the motion of objects in the universe. They were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be mathematically represented as F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How do Newton's laws relate to math?

Newton's laws can be mathematically represented using equations, such as F=ma for the second law of motion. They also involve concepts of calculus, such as differentiation and integration, for understanding the rate of change in acceleration and velocity. These mathematical principles are essential for accurately describing and predicting the motion of objects in accordance with Newton's laws.