Solve for IB, IC, IE, VB, VC: Figure 7, Bdc=40

In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit problem using Kirchhoff's laws and assumptions about the transistor characteristics. The main point is to assume Vbe as 0.6-0.7V and using this approximation to find an answer. It is also mentioned that in most circuit designs, it is important to make circuits less sensitive to temperature and transistor characteristics. The conversation includes an attempt at solving a specific problem and a question about whether to use Ie=(beta+1)*Ib or Ie=beta*Ib.
Loke

Homework Statement

Find IB, IC, IE, VB and VC in Figure 7, where Bdc is 40.

The Attempt at a Solution

VCC-ICRC-VCE=0
IC=BdcIB
VBB-IBRB-VBE=0
IE=IB+IC
VBE=VB
VCE=VC

Attachments

• BJT transistor circuit.jpg
    BJT transistor circuit.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try to apply your equations? For example, why can't you solve for Ib using your third equation? Let's start there. Make an attempt, and if you can't figure that out, let's find out why.

Once you know Ib you can progress further in the problem.

i tried ady...but i still can't find it...3rd equation got 2 unknown Ib and Vbe...i just don't know how to solve it without the type of transistor given...can you help me to figure it out?

Loke said:
i tried ady...but i still can't find it...3rd equation got 2 unknown Ib and Vbe...i just don't know how to solve it without the type of transistor given...can you help me to figure it out?

Technically you are correct that you don't know Vbe, but there is an approximation you can make in this type of circuit. Assume Vbe is 0.6 V and you will get a decent answer.

The alternative is to use the Schokley diode law, but then you need more information about temperature and transistor characteristics. Given those uncertainties, assuming Vbe=0.6 should be good enough.

ermmm...can you solve it with kirchhoffs law because i haven study schokley diode law... i cannot apply it on my work yet.

Loke said:
ermmm...can you solve it with kirchhoffs law because i haven study schokley diode law... i cannot apply it on my work yet.

ermmm ... you missed my main point. Assume Vbe is 0.6V and you can solve.

Teacher only taught me silicon transistor,Vbe=0.7 and germanium transistor,Vbe=0.3 ...but i don't know can assume one ^^? ...and in this question both type of transistor is not given that's why i don't know how to proceed..:(

Loke said:
Teacher only taught me silicon transistor,Vbe=0.7 and germanium transistor,Vbe=0.3 ...but i don't know can assume one ^^? ...and in this question both type of transistor is not given that's why i don't know how to proceed..:(

Well, you are making good points that technically the problem does not specify the transistor. But, this approach is not going to let you solve the problam.

Traditionally, if the transistor is not specified, one can assume it is a silicon device, and 0.6 or 0.7 V can be used for Vbe.

Try it. You need to think like an engineer on this one.

ohh... thanks...i ask u 1 more question...if let say you don't assume Vbe=0.7...can you actually find an answer? I'm wondering.

Loke said:
ohh... thanks...i ask u 1 more question...if let say you don't assume Vbe=0.7...can you actually find an answer? I'm wondering.

Yes, you can find an approximate answer based on assumptions, but it amounts to the same thing. Any reasonable assumptions will put Vbe in the 0.6 V to 0.7 V range and the answer is not very sensitive to changes to Vbe when Vbb is 3 V or greater.

There is going to be sensitivity to changes in temperature and transistor characteristics and part of the challenge to designing transistor circuits is making circuits that are less sensitive. You will be learning about this soon.

As long as the question does not provide the type of transistor,then we just assume it to be Vbe=0.7 ...am i right? i meant other than this question also?...

Last edited:
Loke said:
As long as the question does not provide the type of transistor,then we just assume it to be Vbe=0.7 ...am i right? i meant other than this question also?...

Typically, yes, but there are always exceptions to any rule. The basic idea in most circuit design is to make robust circuits that are not sensitive to temperature and transistor characteristics. The end result of this is that usually changes in Vbe are not important and the above approximation gives reasonable answers.

One example of an exception is the well known current mirror circuit.

Loke said:
stevenb gave a good answer. Also, you can think of the base-to-emitter path as similar to a diode. As long as there is something providing voltage between the base and emitter, it will (usually) be about 0.7V.

Determine IB, IC, IE, VCE and VCB in Figure 8 for the following values:
RB = 5 k ohm, RE = 500 ohm , VBB = 3.0 V, VCC = 20 V and Bdc = 80

problems:
-If i assume the Vbe in this question also = 0.7...i still can't solve it right away...can u help me figure it out?
-can i assume IC=IE...so IE=BdcIB ...any idea?

attempt at solution:
VBB-IBRB-VBE-IERE=0
VCC-VCE-IERE=0
VBE=0.7
IC=BdcIB

Attachments

• transistor.jpg
    transistor.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 439
Loke said:
Determine IB, IC, IE, VCE and VCB in Figure 8 for the following values:
RB = 5 k ohm, RE = 500 ohm , VBB = 3.0 V, VCC = 20 V and Bdc = 80

problems:
-If i assume the Vbe in this question also = 0.7...i still can't solve it right away...can u help me figure it out?
-can i assume IC=IE...so IE=BdcIB ...any idea?

attempt at solution:
VBB-IBRB-VBE-IERE=0
VCC-VCE-IERE=0
VBE=0.7
IC=BdcIB

Remember that Ie=(beta+1)*Ib

oh...should use Ie=(beta+1)*Ib instead of Ie=beta*Ib right?... THANKS a lot ^^ !

1. What do the variables IB, IC, IE, VB, and VC represent in Figure 7?

In Figure 7, IB represents the base current, IC represents the collector current, IE represents the emitter current, VB represents the base voltage, and VC represents the collector voltage in a circuit.

2. How do you solve for IB, IC, IE, VB, and VC in Figure 7?

To solve for IB, IC, IE, VB, and VC in Figure 7, you will need to use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Current Law. You will also need to consider the values of the resistors, the input voltage, and the transistor's characteristics.

3. What is the significance of Bdc=40 in Figure 7?

Bdc=40 in Figure 7 represents the biasing voltage for the transistor. This value is important because it determines the operating point of the transistor and affects its performance.

4. How does changing the value of Bdc affect the values of IB, IC, IE, VB, and VC in Figure 7?

Changing the value of Bdc in Figure 7 will affect the values of IB, IC, IE, VB, and VC according to Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Current Law. The values of the currents and voltages will change proportionally to the changes in Bdc.

5. Can Figure 7 be used to solve for other variables besides IB, IC, IE, VB, and VC?

Yes, Figure 7 can be used to solve for other variables such as the base-emitter voltage, collector-emitter voltage, and the base resistor value. However, additional equations and information may be needed to solve for these variables.