Why Are Repeating Decimals Less Than Denominator?

• Thread starter uranium_235
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between repeating decimals and the denominator b. The question asks why the number of repeating digits is always less than b, and the conversation suggests that the key lies in performing long division and observing the possible remainders. It is then explained that if one of the remainders is 0, the process is complete, but if not, the same remainders will eventually repeat, resulting in a repeating quotient. The conversation ends with a note of appreciation for the contributors' help.
uranium_235
If the repeating decimal is equal to a/b, why is the number of repeating digits less than the denominator b?
This was a question on my homework, and I could not find mathematical proof for the conclusion that number repeating digits is always less than b.

Physics news on Phys.org
The key lies in doing long division (at least that's how I discovered it way back when); run through a few dozen examples, maybe you'll pick up on it.

I don’t wish to seem a bit impatient, but is it possible one could post the mathematical proof? We will most likely be going over this in class tomorrow, and I do not wish to be behind in the event I am not able to find the answer before then.

Okay - imagine performing long division of an integer by an integer. In each step you have a remainder. There are only N possible remainders (from 0 up to N-1). If one of them is 0 then you're done. Otherwise, of the other possible remainders (from 1 up to N-1) you can only go through N-1 steps before one of those very same remainders occurs once again - it's inevitable! At that point, each step repeats the previous ones and therefore your quotient must repeat over and over!

Thank you for your help, Tide and Hurkyl.

1. Why are repeating decimals less than the denominator?

Repeating decimals are less than the denominator because they represent a fraction that is less than 1. The repeating decimal pattern indicates that the numbers after the decimal point continue infinitely, making it smaller than the whole number represented by the denominator.

2. How do you convert repeating decimals to fractions?

To convert a repeating decimal to a fraction, write the repeating decimal as x followed by a bar over the repeating digits. Then, subtract x from x with the bar over it. Finally, divide the resulting number by a number of 9s equal to the number of repeating digits in the original decimal. This will give you the fraction equivalent of the repeating decimal.

3. Can a repeating decimal be equal to its denominator?

No, a repeating decimal cannot be equal to its denominator. A repeating decimal is always less than its denominator because it represents a fraction that is less than 1.

4. What is the difference between a terminating decimal and a repeating decimal?

A terminating decimal is a decimal number that ends after a certain number of digits, while a repeating decimal has a repeating pattern of digits after the decimal point. Terminating decimals can be easily converted to fractions, while repeating decimals require a specific method to convert to fractions.

5. Why are repeating decimals important in mathematics?

Repeating decimals are important in mathematics because they allow us to accurately represent certain fractions that cannot be written as terminating decimals. They also demonstrate the concept of infinity and the idea that some numbers cannot be fully expressed in decimal form.