Which Physics Books Are Recommended for Undergraduate Level Self-Study?

In summary: I would avoid Paul Tipler if possible. He writes in an ambigious manner and I learn absolutely nothing from his books.
Reshma
Hello PF members!

Could anyone please suggest me some books on Physics at under-graduate level?

I'm confused over Resnick & Halliday and Feynman Lectures. Any book suggestions on Electronics, Optics, Nuclear Physics? Anything on physics problems?

I would be glad to hear your response.

Cheers,

Reshma.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Reshma,
Resnick,Halliday,Walker is a very nice and interesting book for beginners.For fundamentals and solving problems Concepts in Physics by H.C.Verma is an excellent read.Feynman Lectures are not for beginners.
But then it depends what course you are pursuing or what exams you are taking.
Hope this helps!
rHia

you kno what.. I am going to go ahead and give you the best damn advice, period

get Schaum's Outline books on amazon.com or off of ebay.com

Also Feynman's book on Computation:

If you want to learn more about physics, those books are great and would cover most of the topics you'd probably find interesting.

I'll have to agree with rhia that Resnick & Halliday is a very well written text. University Physics by Sears, Zemansky & Young is pretty good too. Don't run away from Resnick ! :smile:

About the other subjects in your list : (Basic)Optics is covered quite nicely in Resnick. Nuclear Physics is mostly a Graduate level course, and you need not worry about that now. I'm not sure what's a good textbook for electronics. I've learn't mostly from handbooks and other people. For device theory though, Sze's book on the Physics of Semiconductor Devices is pretty good.

What is your undergraduate major ? Are you in Engineering, or Science, or something else ?

rhia said:
Hi Reshma,
Resnick,Halliday,Walker is a very nice and interesting book for beginners.For fundamentals and solving problems Concepts in Physics by H.C.Verma is an excellent read.Feynman Lectures are not for beginners.
But then it depends what course you are pursuing or what exams you are taking.
Hope this helps!
rHia

I thought Feynman's Lectures were more like popular science. It is not recommended as a physics textbook. I've seen it and can testify that the first few chapters read like popular science to me. That said, I have to confess that I can't understand anything beyond the first volume. :smile:

Hey everyone thanks for all the help!

Reshma said:
Hello PF members!

Could anyone please suggest me some books on Physics at under-graduate level?

I'm confused over Resnick & Halliday and Feynman Lectures. Any book suggestions on Electronics, Optics, Nuclear Physics? Anything on physics problems?

I would be glad to hear your response.

Cheers,

Reshma.

For Mechanics i will prefer
Klepner and Kolenkow ::: Though little bit advanced but very nice book

Ha! Something on the side note, I attend University of Pittsburgh, and the Halliday and Resnick book(which i used for phsyics, and it was excellent) one of the main guys is from Pitt, and the Sears, Young..etc..etc Univeristy Physics authors, the lead one is from CMU, a few blocks down the road. Maybe I should have one of them Autograph there respective copies :smile:

cronxeh said:
get Schaum's Outline books on amazon.com or off of ebay.com

I just happened to look at one of them yesterday. I think I'll be thinking more about buying them.

I'm currently reading Griffeth's Intro to Electrodynamics and Gasiorowicz's Quantum Physics. Both are at the junior level. Gasiorowicz is a bit difficult to read but is nonetheless informative.

I'm learning QM from Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. People say it's a graduate level textbook but I find it quite easy to understand. Liboff's Intro to Quantum Mechanics is another good one.

If you choose to ignore everything I say, that's fine but at least hear me out on this one: Avoid Paul Tipler if possible. Tipler may be a noted teacher but he writes in an ambigious manner and I learn absolutely nothing from his books.

Hope this helps.

PS: Schaum's are great but avoid QM till you have a little understanding of the material under your belt. Schaum's QM tends to confuse beginners.

Last edited:
Hecht has a nice textbook on Optics, called "Optics"!

and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Serway is a pretty handy all-inclusive sort of thing that you can refer easily. It's got me through my first 2 years of UG phys!

I have Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Fishbane, Gasiorowicz, and Thornton.

Stay away from it. It's terrible.

I looked at some reviews for the schaum's outlines for physics for scientist and engineers... and they're pretty bad. :tongue:

Most agree that there are A LOT of mistakes. Like 2-3 mistakes per chapter.

That sucks. I can't afford a whole text (90-100 dollars) so schaums' outlines was awesome. But struggling through a problem that has a wrong solution key isn't exactly my idea of studying. :frown:

Are any of these texts good for "self-teaching"? I'm too impatient to wait for enough funds to go back to school, so I was hoping I could get some reading done while I wait, and if it's possible I'd like to clep out of a couple of courses. :biggrin:

1. What topics are typically covered in UG-level physics books?

At the UG-level, physics books typically cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. Are UG-level physics books suitable for beginners?

Yes, UG-level physics books are designed for beginners who have a basic understanding of mathematics and are interested in learning about the fundamental principles of physics.

3. What makes UG-level physics books different from other levels?

UG-level physics books are typically more introductory and focus on building a strong foundation in basic physics concepts. They may also have more examples and practice problems to help students develop their problem-solving skills.

4. How can UG-level physics books benefit students studying other scientific fields?

UG-level physics books can benefit students studying other scientific fields by providing a solid understanding of fundamental physical concepts that are applicable in many other scientific disciplines, such as chemistry, biology, and engineering.

5. Are UG-level physics books updated with the latest scientific discoveries?

Yes, UG-level physics books are regularly updated to reflect the latest scientific discoveries and advancements in the field. However, it is important to note that some core concepts and theories remain the same, even as new discoveries are made.