Torque used to generate angular acceleration

In summary, the formula you have generated to calculate angular acceleration in a cylinder using a pendulum appears to be correct. However, it is important to include units for each variable and double check the consistency of the units used for moment of inertia. As a scientist, I would be happy to review your work and provide any additional feedback.
pines344
Please let me know if the formula that i had genreated to calculate angular acceleration is correct.

Problem definition - Conversion of torque from a pendulum to generate angular acceleration in a cylinder.

Pendulum is fixed on one side and has adjustable mass on the other end. Length of the pendulum is constant.

torque generated by pendulum = mass of pendulum x acceleration due to gravity x length of pendulum x sin (theta)

torque generated in cylinder = moment of inertia ( which is mass of cylinder x radius of cylinder^2) x angular accelration

Now, torque generated by pendulum = torque generated in cylinder ( assumption is that the pendulum impacts the cylinder)

so angular acceleration = (mass of pendulum x acceleration due to gravity x length of pendulum x sin (theta)) / ( moment of inertia ( which is mass of cylinder x radius of cylinder^2))

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to review your formula and provide feedback. From my understanding of your problem, the formula you have generated appears to be correct. The equation for torque generated by the pendulum, torque generated in the cylinder, and the relationship between them all seem to be accurate.

However, I would suggest including the units for each variable in your formula. This will help ensure that the correct units are used in the calculations and will make it easier to understand the final result.

Additionally, I would recommend double checking the units of moment of inertia and making sure they are consistent with the units used for mass and radius in the formula.

Overall, your formula seems to be a valid way to calculate angular acceleration in this scenario. However, as with any scientific calculation, it is always important to double check your work and ensure that all variables and units are accurate.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is represented by the symbol "τ" and is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm).

2. How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Torque is directly proportional to angular acceleration. This means that as torque increases, so does the angular acceleration, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration.

3. How is torque used to generate angular acceleration?

In order to generate angular acceleration, a torque must be applied to an object. This can be achieved by applying a force at a distance from the axis of rotation, or by changing the distribution of mass within the object. The resulting torque will then cause the object to accelerate rotationally.

4. What factors affect the amount of torque needed to generate angular acceleration?

The amount of torque needed to generate angular acceleration depends on the mass and distribution of mass within the object, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation where the torque is applied. The greater the mass or the farther the distance, the more torque will be required.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. A negative torque occurs when the direction of the force applied is opposite to the direction of rotation. This can result in a deceleration or even a reversal of the rotational motion.