Help for Physics lab practical?

In summary, the black box has an on/off switch, a pilot lamp, a ground terminal (the black one in the center), and twelve numbered red terminals. Each of the red terminals corresponds to one and only one of the components or output states listed below. Using the apparatus provided, identify each of the red terminals and write its number on the appropriate line below. Serial number of unknown: ____________
Verlon
Hey all,

I'm trying to prepare for an upcoming Physics lab practical, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure this thing out. I'm not a Physics major, and I really don't have the "eye" that some other people have on what comes to Physics problems. I'm hoping that somebody could help me out a bit, give me tips on how to get started and so on.

Since the given assignment allows the use of book, notes and other materials, I thought I'd ask here if anybody could help me out. Thank you so much for all ideas, tips etc.

Here is what is given:

The "black box" has an on/off switch, a pilot lamp, a ground terminal (the black one in the center), and twelve numbered red terminals. Each of the red terminals corresponds to one and only one of the components or output states listed below. Using the apparatus provided, identify each of the red terminals and write its number on the appropriate line below.

Note 1: If the pilot lamp does not light when the switch is in the "up" position, ask your instructor to replace the battery.

Note 2: All measurements should be taken between a red terminal and the black terminal. Do not connect two red terminals together.

Serial number of unknown:_________________

____________ short circuit (negligible resistance)
____________ 1 Ohm resistance
____________ 1 K Ohm resistance
____________ 1 M Ohm resistance
____________ open circuit (infinite resistance)
____________ 0.47 μ F capacitor
____________ 20 μ F capacitor
____________ diode (semiconductor)
____________ low internal resistance DC voltage source
____________ high internal resistance DC voltage source
____________ square wave AC voltage source
____________ sawtooth (triangle) wave AC voltage source

Before the lab final, you should develop a brief plan or flow chart outlining the equipment you will use and the order you will follow for identifying each of the red terminals. The equipment available will be: oscilloscope, Triplett analog VOM, Keithley digital VOM, function generator, 1 K Ohm resistor, and hookup leads. You may also bring your calculator, textbook, notes, lab reports, and lab manual.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems straight forward. As long as the box is in the circuit, you won't really short circuit the battery. You really don't have a quesion here until you have some results.

Nothing about Physics is straight forward to me...

I think I understand that I have to create a series circuit with the "black box," with one hook going in black and another going in red.

Okay, so if one of the tools available for me is 1 K Ohm resistor, I can just hook it between the two lines coming from the red and white connections in the "black box," and find out which one of the red terminals corresponds to the 1 K Ohm resistance. And I guess I need to use the VOM in order to measure the Ohms. Am I correct?

The practical is on tuesday and I'm going insane.

I guess the biggest thing for me to figure out is where do I insert the VOM in the circuit? Anywhere? Like this?

-------"black box"-----function generator-------VOM----------1KOhm resistor--------------(back to "black box")

Last edited:

As a scientist, my first advice would be to start by familiarizing yourself with the equipment and its functions. This will help you understand how to use them effectively during the lab practical. Next, I would suggest making a list of the components and their corresponding red terminals, as listed in the given information. This will help you keep track of what you have identified and what still needs to be determined.

When approaching each component, it may be helpful to start by using the oscilloscope to observe the voltage or current waveforms. This can give you a visual representation of the component's behavior and help you determine its function. Then, you can use the VOMs to measure the resistance, capacitance, or voltage of the component. Remember to follow the instructions given, such as not connecting two red terminals together and always measuring between a red and black terminal.

As you go through each component, make sure to take detailed notes and record your findings. This will help you stay organized and make it easier to identify the remaining components. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask your instructor for help if you get stuck or need clarification on something. They are there to support you and guide you through the lab practical.

Lastly, don't forget to review your textbook, notes, and lab reports beforehand. This will refresh your memory on important concepts and equations that may be useful during the lab practical. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of a physics lab practical?

The purpose of a physics lab practical is to apply the principles and theories learned in class to real-world experiments. It allows students to gain hands-on experience and develop critical thinking skills by designing, conducting, and analyzing experiments.

2. How should I prepare for a physics lab practical?

To prepare for a physics lab practical, it is important to review the relevant theories and concepts covered in class. Familiarize yourself with the lab procedures and equipment, and make sure to read the lab instructions carefully. It is also helpful to practice with similar experiments beforehand.

3. What safety precautions should I take during a physics lab practical?

Safety should always be a top priority during a physics lab practical. Make sure to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as goggles and lab coats. Follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by your instructor. In case of any accidents or spills, inform your instructor immediately.

4. How should I record my data during a physics lab practical?

Accurate and thorough recording of data is crucial during a physics lab practical. Use a lab notebook or a data sheet provided by your instructor to record your observations, measurements, and calculations. Make sure to label and organize your data properly, and include any necessary units.

5. What should I do if I encounter difficulties during a physics lab practical?

If you encounter difficulties during a physics lab practical, do not hesitate to ask your instructor for help. They are there to guide and assist you. Make sure to communicate any issues or concerns you have, and work together to find a solution. Remember to stay calm and focused, and don't be afraid to ask questions.