Modular Arithmetic: 8^7 ≡ (-5)^7 (mod 13) and (25)^3 ≡ (-1)^3 (mod 13)?

• Thread starter Inviction
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the two equations 8^7 ≡ (-5)^7 (mod 13) and (25)^3 ≡ (-1)^3 (mod 13) in modular arithmetic show that two numbers with the same remainder when divided by a given number will have the same result when raised to a power in that given modulo. In this case, both equations have a remainder of 1 when divided by 13, resulting in the same value for the mod 13 calculation. This demonstrates the properties of modular arithmetic and its applications in solving problems involving remainders and powers.
Inviction
I have a simple question:

Why does 8^7 ≡ (-5)^7 (mod 13) and (25)^3 ≡ (-1)^3 (mod 13)?

In essence I want to show that 8^7 + 5^7 = 13^7, so that both sides of the equation ≡ 0 (mod 13) and therefore 8^7 ≡ (-5)^7 (mod 13).

I know that in a field of characteristic p>0, (x + y)^p = x^p + y^p, but the problem here is that the exponent is 7, not 13.

I also noticed that the equation works for odd integers but not even ones, i.e., 8^3 ≡ (-5)^3 (mod 13), 8^5 ≡ (-5)^5 (mod 13), etc.

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
8 is equal to -5 mod 13. 25 is equal to -1 mod 13. Why is it surprising their powers would also be equal?

Dick said:
8 is equal to -5 mod 13. 25 is equal to -1 mod 13. Why is it surprising their powers would also be equal?

Oh wow thanks, that was totally not intuitive for me for some reason, but I see it much more clearly now. I just started doing modular arithmetic and never realized the same rules still apply. I guess "≡ (mod n)" is the same as "=" as far as any calculations are concerned?

Inviction said:
Oh wow thanks, that was totally not intuitive for me for some reason, but I see it much more clearly now. I just started doing modular arithmetic and never realized the same rules still apply. I guess "≡ (mod n)" is the same as "=" as far as any calculations are concerned?

Sure. If a=b mod n then a^k=b^k mod n for any k. That's not true for ANY operation. But it's true for the operations that respect mod arithmetic.

F13 is a field like R or C. When it comes to =, +, -, *, brackets, -1 it behaves exactly the same. There is no need to work with 'mod' or what so ever.

Running code below in http://magma.maths.usyd.edu.au/calc/ returns '0'.

Code:
F := FiniteField(13);

eight := F ! 8;
five:= F ! 5;
thirteen := F ! 13;

eight  ^7 + five ^7 - thirteen ^7;

Last edited:
Outlined said:
F13 is a field like R or C. When it comes to =, +, -, *, brackets, -1 it behaves exactly the same. There is no need to work with 'mod' or what so ever.

Running code below in http://magma.maths.usyd.edu.au/calc/ returns '0'.

Code:
F := FiniteField(13);

eight := F ! 8;
five:= F ! 5;
thirteen := F ! 13;

eight  ^7 + five ^7 - thirteen ^7;

That's a pretty strange response. Are you saying the only way to understand relations in Z_13 is to run magma?

Dick said:
That's a pretty strange response. Are you saying the only way to understand relations in Z_13 is to run magma?

no but if you are not in the mood to do manual computations you can use that website.

What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the remainder of integer division. In modular arithmetic, numbers "wrap around" after reaching a certain value, known as the modulus. This is often used in cryptography and computer science.

What do the symbols ≡ and (mod 13) represent?

The symbol ≡ means "is congruent to," indicating that the numbers on either side are equivalent in terms of modular arithmetic. The phrase (mod 13) specifies the modulus, which in this case is 13.

How do you solve equations in modular arithmetic?

To solve equations in modular arithmetic, we use the rules of modular arithmetic. For example, in (25)^3 ≡ (-1)^3 (mod 13), we can rewrite 25 as 13 + 12, and (-1) as 13 - 14. Then, using the rule that (a + b)^n ≡ a^n + b^n (mod m), we can simplify the equation to 12^3 ≡ (-14)^3 (mod 13). We continue to simplify until we reach a solution.

What does it mean when two numbers are congruent in modular arithmetic?

When two numbers are congruent in modular arithmetic, it means that they have the same remainder when divided by the modulus. In other words, they are equivalent in terms of modular arithmetic.

Why is modular arithmetic important?

Modular arithmetic is important because it has many applications in the real world, including in cryptography, computer science, and number theory. It also helps us understand patterns and relationships between numbers.