Isn't this weird? (convergence of a sequence)

In summary, to prove that the sequence \left\{\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}\right\} converges towards 1 using the \epsilon-N definition, the speaker used the inequality \left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}-1\right|<\left|\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}-1\right| and found an N that satisfies the definition for all positive real numbers. However, after realizing that this argument fails for n=1 and other values, the speaker found a different approach using \left|\frac{n^2+4-4}{n^2+4}-1\right|=\left|1-\frac
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In order to prove, using the [itex]\epsilon-N[/itex] definition, that the sequence

[tex]\left\{\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}\right\} = \left\{\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}\right\}[/tex]

converges towards 1, I did the following: The sequence converges towards 1 if

[tex]\forall \epsilon>0, \exists N\in\mathbb{R} \ \mbox{such that} \ \forall n\in\mathbb{N}, n>N \Longrightarrow \left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}-1\right|<\epsilon[/tex]

We have that

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}-1\right|<\left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}\right|[/tex]

so if we can find the N for the creature on the right side of the inequality, it will also be true for the one on the left side. And then we solve and I spare you the following steps because my question is that if my line of reasoning is correct so far, then proving that there exist an N for the right member proves that there exists an N for

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}-a\right|[/tex]

where a in any positive real. So it doesn't REALLY show that the limit is 1 because should I try to prove that the limit is "a, any positive real", I would arrive to the same answer! All it shows is that the sequence converges. Right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
We have that

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}-1\right|<\left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}\right|[/tex]

Actually, we don't. n=1 fails. For large enough n (3 or more), this inequality will be true.

However, you won't be able to bound the right hand thing above by an arbitrary [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]. Forget an arbitrary one, take [tex]\epsilon =1/5[/tex] and you won't be able to do it, since it's false for all n (any epsilon less than 1 will also fail).This thing starts at 1/5 and approaches 1, it's not getting arbitrarily small.

quasar987 said:

We have that

so if we can find the N for the creature on the right side of the inequality, it will also be true for the one on the left side.

But can you ? Notice that this creature doesn't get smaller than 1/5...ever.

PS : shmoe's post wasn't up when I started...so ignore this.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for pointing that out. I start again.

The sequence converges towards 1 if

[tex]\forall \epsilon>0, \exists N\in\mathbb{R} \ \mbox{such that} \ \forall n\in\mathbb{N}, n>N \Longrightarrow \left|\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}-1\right|<\epsilon[/tex]

We have that (with some luck),

[tex]\left|\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}-1\right|<\left|n^2-1\right|<\left|n^2\right|=n^2[/tex]

which is an easily tamed creature that produces an N that is true for all N such that

[tex]N\geq \frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon}}[/tex]

So my argument remains, that is to say, isn't it weird that since showing that this converges to 1 is the same as showing that it converges to any a, positive real. So it doesn't REALLY show that the limit is 1 because should I try to prove that the limit is "a, any positive real", I would arrive to the same answer! All it shows is that the sequence converges. Right?

quasar987 said:
We have that (with some luck),

[tex]\left|\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}-1\right|<\left|n^2-1\right|<\left|n^2\right|[/tex]

It's going to take a lot more than "some" luck !

Try n=1 and see what happens.

And I suggest you don't spend a whole lot of time trying more of these ...any such attempt must fail.

Last edited:
Bad luck!

I found another way of doing it (thanks to Fredrik's trick) that DOESN'T "cause" the paradox I was invoking, so it should be right this time! (notice I used the word "should" :wink:). Here we go again.

We have that, *crossing my fingers*

[tex]\left|\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}-1\right|=\left|\frac{n^2+4-4}{n^2+4}-1\right|=\left|1-\frac{4}{n^2+4}-1\right|=\left|-\frac{4}{n^2+4}\right|=\frac{4}{n^2+4}<\frac{4}{n^2}<\epsilon[/tex]
[tex] \Leftrightarrow n^2>\frac{4}{\epsilon}\Leftrightarrow n>\sqrt{\frac{4}{\epsilon}}[/tex]

we discarded the option that n was greater than minus the square root because it is trivial by n being a positive interger. So any N satisfying

[tex]N\geq \frac{2}{\sqrt{\epsilon}}[/tex]

is fine.

Last edited:

1. What is convergence of a sequence?

Convergence of a sequence refers to the behavior of a series of numbers as the number of terms increases. It describes whether the sequence approaches a certain value or becomes infinitely large.

2. How is convergence of a sequence determined?

The convergence of a sequence is determined by analyzing the behavior of the sequence as the number of terms increases. This can be done through various methods such as limit comparison test, ratio test, or the use of convergence criteria like monotone convergence theorem or Cauchy's convergence test.

3. What is the importance of studying convergence of a sequence?

Understanding the convergence of a sequence is important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It allows for the prediction and analysis of patterns and trends in data that can aid in decision making and problem solving.

4. What are some common examples of convergence of a sequence?

Some common examples of convergence of a sequence include the value of pi (π) in geometry, the acceleration due to gravity, and the Fibonacci sequence. In each of these cases, the series of numbers approaches a specific value or ratio as the number of terms increases.

5. Can a sequence converge to more than one value?

No, a sequence can only converge to a single value. If a sequence approaches two or more values as the number of terms increases, it is considered to be divergent, meaning it does not have a specific limit or value.