New Chinese Books for Girlfriend: The Good Earth & Lisa See

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation revolves around a recommendation for books similar to "The Good Earth" and books by Lisa See, which feature the practice of foot binding. The conversation also briefly mentions other books by famous physicists and recommends "Dream of Red Chamber" by Cao Xueqin for its depiction of women in a gilded cage. One participant expresses their dislike for foot binding as a Chinese person.
tribdog
my girlfriend is into these "chinese" books. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck and anything by Lisa See. basically she likes foot binding. Gross, i know, but being the good boyfriend I am I got to at least check if there are others like that. Hi, everyone, by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, so you want a book similar to those?

I came here to recommend "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman" (By R. Feynman of course).

thanks, but as a long time pfer I've read everything by feynman, einstein, thorne, kaku, hawking, greene etc...I need help on foot binding.

Hi trib :biggrin:

how many ways can you bind a foot? a whole books worth?

Here are a few:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0824816064/?tag=pfamazon01-20.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0812968069/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0060934425/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0812980352/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Also, I would suggest the book "Dream of Red Chamber" a.k.a "Dream of Red Mansions", by Cao Xueqin. I'm not sure if it specifically about foot binding, but it describes women who were 'protected' from the harsh reality of life by keeping them in a gilded cage. Even if it doesn't have foot binding in it, it is a classic Chinese novel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back dog. :)

Wb, trib!

<lisab happily flexes and points her size nine dogs>

As a Chinese, i don't like foot binding...Havent u seen those pics? Terrible.

1. What is the concept behind "New Chinese Books for Girlfriend: The Good Earth & Lisa See"?

"New Chinese Books for Girlfriend: The Good Earth & Lisa See" is a collection of two popular Chinese books, "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See, that are often recommended as must-reads for girlfriends or romantic partners.

2. Why are these two books specifically recommended for girlfriends?

Both "The Good Earth" and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" feature strong female protagonists and explore themes of love, family, and female friendship. They also offer a glimpse into Chinese culture and history, making them engaging and educational reads.

3. Are these books only suitable for female readers?

No, these books can be enjoyed by readers of any gender. While they are often marketed towards women, the themes and storytelling are universal and can be appreciated by anyone.

4. How do these books contribute to our understanding of Chinese literature?

"The Good Earth" and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" are both considered important works in Chinese literature. They offer insight into the lives of Chinese people and the cultural and societal norms of different time periods. Additionally, they showcase the talent and diversity of Chinese authors.

5. Are there any other Chinese books that you would recommend for girlfriends?

Yes, there are many great Chinese books that would make great reads for girlfriends. Some other popular choices include "The Joy Luck Club" by Amy Tan, "The Kitchen God's Wife" by Lisa See, and "Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China" by Jung Chang.