Advice for a 'Murrican going to CERN

• Thread starter Mike Pemulis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cern
In summary: Geneva is a really nice city, and the people are really friendly. It's a little expensive, but it's worth it.
Drakkith said:
I can't wait!

Moi non plus!

Physics news on Phys.org
Geezer said:
Moi non plus!

No! You are a hot pocket!

I got used to some Imperial system units, but the great thing about the metric system is that everything is a multiple of 10 of something else, which makes things easier. I always get completely lost when people start talking about ounces (fluid or not). I can understand, inches, feet, yards, gallons and pints (BEER!).

Tell them you're Canadian. :tongue:

Amok said:
Don't you guys, as scientists, have to learn to use the metric system, even in the US?

Nah, they're still waiting to see if it catches on anywhere else...

Kurdt said:
Tell them you're Canadian. :tongue:

I once read that the most valuable passports on the black market are Canadian passports (they're even more desirable than US passports); no one has a beef with Canada, so Canadians can pretty much go anywhere hassle free.

Geezer said:
I once read that the most valuable passports on the black market are Canadian passports (they're even more desirable than US passports); no one has a beef with Canada, so Canadians can pretty much go anywhere hassle free.

That may be true in general, but I remember am off the record comment from one of my employer's security people that "you can get Canadian citizenship by collecting the tops of cereal packets" - i.e. they dioesn't score many points in a security check.

brewnog said:
Nah, they're still waiting to see if it catches on anywhere else...
Look out for published papers where the test specimen was 0.0254m long, or its mass was 0.4543kg. 'Nuff said.

My favorite compromise over this is what Boeing do. Their large airliners are designed in sections 8 feet 4 inches long. Think about it (and use a calculator if necessary).

Borek said:
Judging from the hole in Mars, they don't have to.

You are confusing engineers with scientists... :wink: :tongue2: :biggrin:

AlephZero said:
Look out for published papers where the test specimen was 0.0254m long, or its mass was 0.4543kg. 'Nuff said.

My favorite compromise over this is what Boeing do. Their large airliners are designed in sections 8 feet 4 inches long. Think about it (and use a calculator if necessary).

Imperial Metric :wink:!

Norman said:
You are confusing engineers with scientists... :wink: :tongue2: :biggrin:

Good one. :rofl:

lisab said:
Imperial Metric :wink:!

But the metric system has taken half the fun out of engineering software develoopment.

Gone are the days when the newbies used to come to the experts asking things like "Why is there a factor of 51337 in this formula" and get the instant answer "Oh, that's just to convert from tsi to pounds per square foot, divided by 2 pi".

Whaddaya mean, "documentation"? Never 'eard of such a thing!