Who's actions you approve from the most to least?

• Thread starter Ivan92
  • Start date
In summary, a group of individuals discuss a short story in which a young woman named Rosemary must cross a crocodile-infested river to meet her betrothed for their wedding. She turns to various acquaintances for help, but ultimately takes the easy way out and spends the night with one of them. Her betrothed ultimately rejects her, and she ends up marrying someone else. The group debates who they approve of the most and the least, with some arguing that all the characters had flaws and none were fully admirable.
Ivan92
So my prof from Intro to Communications class were given a short story to read and were told to write down the names of who's actions you approved most to least. So I read it and put who I approved of the most to the least. So we shared it with the class and we were just debating about it. I was just curious of what you guys think. So write your list from most approved to the least approved.

ROSEMARY is a young woman about 21 years old. For a long time she has been engaged to a young man named HERNANDO and she is coming from a great distance to meet him for their scheduled wedding. The problem she faces is that between her and her betrothed there lies a river. No ordinary river, mind you, but a deep, wide river infested with hungry crocodiles.
ROSEMARY ponders how she can cross the river. She thinks of a man who has a boat, whose name is SVEN. She approaches SVEN and asks him to take her across the river. SVEN replies, "Yes, I'll take you across the river if you'll spend the night with me."
Shocked at this offer she turns to another acquaintance, LEE PAI, and tells him her story. LEE PAI responds by saying, "Poor Rosemary, I understand your problem, but I don't see how I can help. It's really your problem, not mine."
ROSEMARY, in desperation, decides to return SVEN, and spends the night with him. In the morning SVEN takes her across the river. She completes her journey and arrives in time.
Her reunion with HERNANDO is warm, but on the evening before they are to be married ROSEMARY feels compelled to tell HERNANDO how she succeeded in getting across the river. HERNANDO responds by saying, "I can't believe you would do such a thing. I wouldn't marry you even if you were the last woman on earth." And he banishes her as a soiled woman.
Finally, at her wit's end, ROSEMARY, turns to our last character, SEIICHI. He listens to her story and says, "What a terrible thing to happen. Rosemary, I don't love you, but I will marry you." And that's all we know of the story.

1. Seichi
2. LeePai
3. Rosemary
4. Hernando
5. Sven

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean "approved" of the most? I've heard of a similar story about a girl crossing a river to meet with another man and then died in the forest from a thief and was asked to rank who was most responsible for her death.

LeePai
Sven
Seiichi
Rosemary
Hernando

Each of the characters did something. It's up to you to decide which character did the right thing from wrong.

Zryn, what's the reasoning behind your selection?

LeePai realized that he could not help Rosemary and opted to not waste her time any further. He listened and did the best for her that he could.

Sven engaged in basic capitalism, providing his services for hers. Both their interests were served, but she paid the higher price.

Seiichi opted to engage in a loveless marriage without quantifying what he would get out of it. His interest is hidden beyond analysis and therefore we don't know what his motives are (sex, someone to love and cherish, his next meal, arm candy, a corpse to study for scientific gain, a pity-vote project etc.)

Rosemary chose poorly. When presented with options she chose the easy / bad route, giving insight into her minimal thought process.

Hernando did nothing to help his young bride to be who had to travel from afar and cross a crocodile infested river unaided.

Zryn said:
LeePai realized that he could not help Rosemary and opted to not waste her time any further. He listened and did the best for her that he could.

Sven engaged in basic capitalism, providing his services for hers. Both their interests were served, but she paid the higher price.

Seiichi opted to engage in a loveless marriage without quantifying what he would get out of it. His interest is hidden beyond analysis and therefore we don't know what his motives are (sex, someone to love and cherish, his next meal, arm candy, a corpse to study for scientific gain, a pity-vote project etc.)

Rosemary chose poorly. When presented with options she chose the easy / bad route, giving insight into her minimal thought process.

Hernando did nothing to help his young bride to be who had to travel from afar and cross a crocodile infested river unaided.

I think this is a very sharp analysis and I agree completely, although I'd switch Sven and Seiichi, giving Seiichi the advantage of the doubt, but that's more a bit of hair splitting I think.

And I'd like to add that Hernando is quite the ahole, not even talking to Rosemary, but simply judging her and letting her drop dead.

Thats interesting what you pointed out about Sven. Still, I do not think that should be the way he could have provided service. He should have done it another way.

I would have hated that class. I have no strong feelings of approval or disapproval for any of the characters.

1. Who are the top scientists whose actions I approve of the most?

As a scientist, I do not have a personal preference or bias towards any specific scientist. Instead, I admire and approve of the actions and contributions of all scientists who have made significant advancements in their respective fields.

2. Why do I approve of some scientists' actions more than others?

The level of approval for a scientist's actions may vary based on their impact and relevance in my specific field of study. Additionally, personal biases and opinions may also play a role in my level of approval.

3. What criteria do I use to determine the level of approval for a scientist's actions?

As a scientist, I use objective criteria such as the accuracy and validity of their research, the significance of their findings, and the impact on the scientific community and society as a whole.

4. Can my level of approval for a scientist's actions change over time?

Yes, it is possible for my level of approval to change as new information and developments arise in the scientific community. As a scientist, I am open to revising my opinions and acknowledging new contributions from other scientists.

5. How do my personal beliefs and values affect my level of approval for a scientist's actions?

While I strive to remain objective and unbiased in my evaluation of a scientist's actions, it is inevitable for personal beliefs and values to play a role in my level of approval. However, I always strive to base my approval on scientific evidence and facts rather than personal opinions or beliefs.