Our 'Background' Speed and How it Fits with Time Dilation

In summary: As for determining a fixed point in absolute stillness, it is impossible to do so as there is no such thing as absolute stillness in spacetime. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of objective motion and its relation to time dilation and the speed of light. It is mentioned that there is no such thing as absolute stillness in spacetime and that choosing a frame of reference does not invalidate the principles of relativity. The conversation concludes by stating that it is impossible to determine a fixed point of absolute stillness in spacetime.
jaston
me: layman's understanding of physics and mathmatics

My (very basic) understanding for this question is that: a higher rate of (objective) motion = lower rate of time for anything with mass.

Is there a working figure for how much motion we experience per a specific time period from such sources as the motion of the local galatic cluster, the rotation of the galaxy, the motion of our star, the spin of the earth, etc.?

Whatever that figure might be, are we experiencing any time dilation effect in relation to the universe at-large?

Lastly, for the purposes of figuring your speed as a percentage of the speed of light, at what point do you begin counting? For example: If my star is moving at 100,000 miles per hour and I launch my spaceship in the same direction going 20,000 mph and shoot myself out the tip of my craft at 100 mph, at what speed am I going in relation to achieving the speed of light? 120,100? 100? Or do I need to start at rest and develope my own motion?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jaston said:
My (very basic) understanding for this question is that: a higher rate of (objective) motion = lower rate of time for anything with mass.
What do you mean by 'objective' motion? All speed is relative.

As far as time dilation goes: If something is moving with respect to you, you will measure all processes in that moving system (such as clocks) to run slowly compared to your own clocks. Your clocks run normally.

By 'objective motion' I meant motion measured against an absolute stillness in spacetime. I'm sorry if that was incorrectly worded or an absurd notion, but my thought was that a single object's motion against a fixed point in spacetime would be objective and would only become relative with the addition of a second object in motion?

There's no such thing as absolute stillness. If you are moving at some speed with respect to something, you'll be moving at other speeds with respect to other things. Nothing 'objective' about it.

jaston said:
By 'objective motion' I meant motion measured against an absolute stillness in spacetime. I'm sorry if that was incorrectly worded or an absurd notion, but my thought was that a single object's motion against a fixed point in spacetime would be objective and would only become relative with the addition of a second object in motion?

That's good intuition imo. Not an absurd notion at all.

There is a recent thread in here regarding the use of the EM radiation from the big bang used as a point of reference.

Think of how a fixed point in absolute stillness in spacetime could be determind so "objective motion" could be measured. Should conclude it can't be done.

To chime in on nitsuj's post, I will say that choosing the background radiation as a frame of reference in no way invalidates relativity or anything to do with it. You are simply choosing to measure all other frames in regards to that one frame. Choose another frame to compare with and everything is exactly the same. The same thing would happen if we chose the Earth, Sun, or Moon as a reference point to measure against.

1. How does our background speed affect time dilation?

Our background speed refers to our relative velocity in relation to an external observer. According to the theory of relativity, an object's speed and the gravitational field it is in can affect the passage of time. This means that our background speed can impact the rate at which time passes for us compared to others.

2. What is time dilation and how does it relate to our background speed?

Time dilation is a phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects in motion or in stronger gravitational fields. Our background speed can contribute to time dilation because it affects an object's relative velocity and the strength of gravitational fields experienced.

3. Is there a limit to how fast we can travel and how it may affect time dilation?

According to the theory of relativity, there is a maximum speed that an object can travel, which is the speed of light. As an object approaches this speed, time dilation becomes more significant. This means that the closer we get to the speed of light, the more our background speed will impact time dilation.

4. How does the concept of time dilation affect our understanding of time?

The concept of time dilation challenges our traditional understanding of time as a constant and absolute quantity. It suggests that time is relative and can be affected by an object's speed and gravitational field. This has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and how time is experienced by different objects.

5. Can our background speed change over time and how would it affect time dilation?

Our background speed can change over time as we move in relation to other objects or are affected by gravitational fields. This change in background speed can impact the rate at which time passes for us, resulting in time dilation. However, the changes in background speed and their effects on time dilation are often imperceptible to us in our everyday lives.