Inelastic collision problem/ unequal masses.

In summary, the person is trying to use equations found on a website for special relativity and has solved a problem using equations 2.9 and 2.1. They are asking for confirmation on the correctness of their solution.
randombill
I'm trying to use the equations on http://teachers.web.cern.ch/teachers/archiv/hst2002/bubblech/mbitu/applications_of_special_relativi.htm" and I have solved the following. Is it correct?

attachment.php?attachmentid=37377&stc=1&d=1311222833.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a repost because the image link doesn't work in firefox.

randombill said:
I'm trying to use the equations on http://teachers.web.cern.ch/teachers/archiv/hst2002/bubblech/mbitu/applications_of_special_relativi.htm" and I have solved the following. . . . . Is it correct?

The equations I'm referring to are 2.9 for E.
Equation 2.1 for center of mass velocity.
Energy momentum relation is the 2nd equation in the picture below.

Substitute the energy-momentum relation into 2.9 and substitute the 2nd equation
into the cm velocity (2.1). This will yield the large single equation which uses 8 lines on a page.

attachment.php?attachmentid=37765&stc=1&d=1312453519.jpg

Attachments

• fuibser756.jpg
    fuibser756.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 453
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. In this type of collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. How is an inelastic collision different from an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. In this type of collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects involved bounce off each other. In contrast, an inelastic collision involves a loss of kinetic energy and the objects do not bounce off each other.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocities in an inelastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocities in an inelastic collision is m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)vf, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1 and v2 are the initial velocities of the objects, and vf is the final velocity of the objects after the collision.

4. What is the difference between a completely inelastic collision and a partially inelastic collision?

In a completely inelastic collision, the two objects stick together after the collision and move as one object. In a partially inelastic collision, the objects may still stick together after the collision, but they may also bounce off each other with a lower final velocity than their initial velocities.

5. How do unequal masses affect the final velocities in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision with unequal masses, the final velocities of the objects will depend on their masses and initial velocities. The object with the greater mass will have a lower final velocity, while the object with the smaller mass will have a higher final velocity. This is due to the conservation of momentum, where the more massive object will have a greater momentum and therefore a lower final velocity.